Peak Bass Control On Pioneer Elite Receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by David-A, Nov 6, 2003.

1. David-A

David-A Auditioning

Does anyone know what the default is for the peak bass setting? I have a 53TX and I thought I set it when I got it a few months ago, evidently I didn't. Last night, I bought a set of Polk RTi70 speakers for fronts and a CSi30 center. These were to replace the relative components in my Polk RM6500 speaker system. Well, after hooking them up and doing the MCCAC cal, they sounded like crap! I was VERY disappointed. During lunch today, I discovered the peak bass control on the receiver was set to the absolute minimum setting of -80. I HAD NO BASS! Setting the peak control had no effect on the equalization calibration so I believe those two functions are independent.

Now, OMG this system sounds phenominal! The sound stage across the front is seamless, as well as it is from the fronts to the rear, I can feel the bass at low volumes, I feel completely enveloped by sound, and it's soooo SMOOTH! Listening to the rooftop scene in The Matrix just makes my heart melt. I now have the peal bass level set to -20. Does this seem right? Thanks!

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The default is no limiter, but it's very easy to go into that menu setting and accidently set it to its lowest value. It's happened to many people.

To set it, go into the menu and increase the value until you just start noticing some distortion then back it off a few notches(you want to back it off very quickly).

The setting is relative due to different equipment and rooms. It's a very useful feature.

DJ

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yeah, turn the bass limiter off, or all the way up.