Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying DVD-A!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Daryl Furkalo, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

Well, for all of us that have been patiently waiting, good news, it is out!! Got my copy today from my pre-order so I don't even know the actual release date. I thought Oct. 14 is the 'official' date.

Specs from the case:

DVD-A 5.1, 96k 24 bit
    DTS 5.1, 96k 24 bit
    PCM 2.0, 96k 24 bit

Music videos in DTS 5.1, play along of Devil's Island, and interview footage.

I can't wait to listen to it tonight! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

3. Daryl Furkalo

I have never noticed this before, but the disc is see-through ... [​IMG]

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Corny remark of the day:

Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
    I'm buying- this DVD-A. Hah!

Nice to see they're using 96k.

For some reason, I've got this notion in my head that DVD-A is best suited for metal and SACD for jazz. Probably just due to the titles being released.

5. Daryl Furkalo

I think that it is mostly coincidence of the titles being released on the different formats. Dark Side is good rock'n'roll SACD release.

6. HankM

HankM Second Unit

I seen this at Best Buy yesterday for $15.99, I didn't get it. I would like to know how the MLP 5.1 sounds compared with the 24/96 PCM 2ch. I don't have DTS 24/96 in my system.

7. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Really?! I'll have to take a look into this.

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

deleted by LJ

9. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Excellent news as I thought this title had been delayed till 12/31/03.

Nice one. And I shall buy it as well. Any reviews on this yet from anyone??

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

deleted by LJ

11. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Since I already have what amounts to a pseudo 4.1 system in my car, I would love to be able to upgrade the deck to one which will do DVD-A.

Thus far, all I can find are the high dollar (>$1,000) units with pop out video screens.

I don't want or need video, I just want to be able to play DVD-A MC hi-rez.

Anyone know if there are any decks on the horizon? I would hate to have to trade the 911 for an Acura!

BGL

12. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

LanceJ - you should really put your Acura review in it's own thread. I bet a lot of people skip over this thread about Megadeath.

13. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Kevitra: took your advice. [​IMG]

LJ

14. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I saw this at Best Buy today, also.

15. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

I'm sure there are not a multitude of Megadeth fans out there, but for those few of us out there, here is my meager review of their new DVD-A release of Peace Sells,,,But Whose Buying

Back in the day, there were some great Heavy Metal bands, and there was Megadeth, A band that was on the frontier of Metal and who's furotious chops and "screw you" attitude helped launched a whole new genre of music. Without trying to piss off Metallica fans, it was Dave Mustaine who got that band going before his infamous "boot" in my opinion.

This album had me like a fish, with hook in mouth when I 1st heard it at the youthful, influential age of 16. With power rock bands like Van Halen, Ozzy & AC/DC covering the airwaves, hearing this band was a breath of fresh air. Enough said, on to the review.....

DVD-A tested on a ....
    Denon 1600 DVD-A player
    Denon 2808 Rec. with Parasound 885 Amp
    Klipsch Ref Series speakers
    Def Tech Sub (I know, weak)

1st listen through was MC 5.1
    Wake Up Dead
    One of the staple songs from this album and this band.
    They really cleaned up the sound overall. A lot of separation between the guitar tracks, although the lead sounds a little hot. Overall, very impressed.

The Conjuring
    Nice effects on the vocals, added reverb on the intro melody, again, the lead is a little hot. The thing I like so far into this release is that you can almost hear the Marshall amps humming like their in your living room. The drawback, however, is that the guitars almost seem to overpower the vocals (more on that later). Strange, since you would think that DM would emphasize his vocals, not diminish them.

Peace Sells
    The guitars sound incredible on this track. The steady chugging of the Bass/rhythm Guitar is awesome, but again, the vocals seem drown out and have too much reverb. There is a Video for this track as well.

Devils Island
    Again, great guitar sound, weak vocals. There is a neat feature for this song in the menu that lets you separate out tracks so you can play (or try to play) along with the band.

Good Mourning/Black Friday
    I was really looking forward to this track on DVD-A. The intro in spectactular,,,until,,, about 1:45 into the song when the volume drops out through about 2:08. Whats going on here? At this point, I throw in some other DVD-A's to make sure its not a malfunction in my system. No problem with other disc's. Listening to this track makes me feel like my ears are getting plugged up. Not good.

I Ain't Superstitious
    Chris Poland gets to show off some of his chops here.

My Last Words
    Nice sound field for the intro. The guitars are layered very nicely, almost floating throughout the room. The vocals, again, seem lower than they should be for this track as well, especially for the ending few verses. They seem to disappear in reverb and volume drop out.

Overall, there are some great experiences to be had on the DVD-A version of this disc, but some areas of great concern as well. At one point, I had to re-check my channel levels and speaker wire polarity to make sure things were set up correctly. So I decided to check out the DTS version, and while there were some distinct volume drop outs, it was not as bad as the MC mix. The 2 CH version yielded the best overall sound actually. No drop outs and it offers a better mix than the original album (as it should).

In the end, I was impressed with the DVD-A mix on some of the songs, and disappointed with others. The DTS mix provided some improvement, but still, there was some noticable errors that I could not hear on the 2CH mix. Hopefully, it is just a bad copy that I received and others will be able contradict what I experienced.

There is a nice little interview with members of the band on this disc as well. I liked the fact that they gave some good props to Gar Samuelson (sp) and Chris Poland (a great guitar player who helped tied this album together).

For Megadeth fans, picking up this album should be a no brainer, especially for only $16. For fans of Hi-Res MC DVD-A that are expecting a Donald Fagan type reproduction, I would wait to hear from others regarding this particular release.

This review is purely my opinion and should not be considered an official or even a professional review of this album.

16. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    Thank you Pilip for this mini review, I am still waiting for my copy though!

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I got this bad boy, too. I just gotta find some time to listen to it when my roommates aren't around and I can crank it.

18. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    Mike,

Please tell me what you think! [​IMG]

19. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Yeah. Proclaiming my opinions in this forum has never been a problem for me. [​IMG]

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I listened to the surround track last night. Overall, I am quite dissappointed. The sound itself was fine, but I did not like the mix at all. Mind that I love aggressive mixes and feel that if they're gonna do surround, then make it surround. This is extremely front heavy. You get a little mush from the rears- it's not even seperated well back there. The instruments are spread out throughout the front stage, which is a cool way to hear those riffs, but the vocals are mostly center only, so they get drowned out sometimes.

I will listen to the stereo track tonight. I'm optimistic that this will be good because it should be the same mix as the CD just with better sound. But a big [​IMG] so far.