Peace Corps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FredHD, Jul 16, 2002.

1. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

My fiancee and I are wanting to join the Peace Corps. We are looking for feedback from people that have been in and are quite pleased with our responses so far. We're wanting to go somewhere in the Pacific (my personal choices are Tonga and Samoa). Does anyone on here know anyone that was in the Corps and how was their experience?

I know what you may be thinking. 2 years with no HT, movies, tv!!!! But I have the rest of my life for that.
    We want to do this now before we start having kids.

Thanks in advance for all input.

JW

2. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

My brother was in the Peace Corps. He spent 2 years teaching in Ba, Fiji. And no it wasn't a two year vacation, Ba is a working town with the local economy centered around sugar cane.

I don't believe that volunteers are able to request where they are sent, my brother had no idea that he might go to Fiji until they gave him his assignment. I think that you can refuse to accept an assignment, but there is no guarantee that you either be given a different one or that you will receive one more to your liking.

3. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I have a good friend that just left last month to teach math in Guinea, Africa.

So far, so good. For her, they are sending her for 3 months of training (in Guinea) and to work on her French and then teach her a local language. After 3 months, she moves to the village she'll be working in. She's going to be teaching high-level math (calculus, statistics, etc) to high school kids. She has to wear skirts because, well, thats what women wear there. They warned her that she may have a lot of trouble from the men there because she looks very much American with her blonde hair and blue eyes. She teaches everymorning and has the afternoons off, and gets 2 vacation weeks a year. She doesn't teach during the summers but is expected to do community service.

She did say, though, that she didn't know where she was going to be until about 2 months before she left. She knew that she was being sent to Africa about a year before hand, so that helps. She got to pick 3 places she would like to go and listed her skills, then they just picked a place that was suitable.

I think the problem you may have is that the peace corps will not place couples together. If you're married and you both want to join, they may not accept you because its really hard on both people. There are very limited spots that put 2 people together. So, just be forwarned that its likely the two of you will be in different locations and not have any contact for 2 years!

4. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

Leila, I think your are wrong about the couple thing:
    The following passage is from the Peace Corps web site:
    Peace Corps service can be a rewarding, enriching experience for married couples. Married couples make up about nine percent of Peace Corps Volunteers. In fact, some Peace Corps countries have couples-only programs. In all cases, both spouses must serve as Volunteers and live and work in the same community.
    As far as choosing where I want to go. Those are just my personal preferences. I'll pretty much go anywhere in the Pacific, Central and East Asia, or Europe and Mediterranean.

5. Leila Dougan

Jackson:

I guess I didn't make myself too clear. What I meant was that if you're married, they won't put you in seperate places. Yes there are places that want couples, there aren't MANY places. It can be hard to be places because these places are so far and few in between. My comment about living apart for 2 years was made because currently you are NOT married. If you choose to get married before you serve, then obviously you'll have to see if you can get in on the waiting list for one of these places that accept couples. But if you choose to get married after the 2 years of service, you'll (obviously) have to spend that 2 years apart.

6. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

My apologies. We are getting married in September. I did not clarify that fact. We will be entering as a married couple.

7. Leila Dougan

It's ok, Jackson. We both needed to clarify [​IMG]
    I've heard from people who've served that its a very positive and rewarding experience. I don't think I've met anybody that's regretted it. I'm sure it'll be trying, but hey, what meaningful stuff in life isn't? Good luck!

8. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

My fiancee's sister will be returning in December from Kenya. She is teaching deaf children in a mountain village. She has had quite a roller coaster of emotions dealing with locals, her school, and the Peace Corps.

She was nervous at first. She had intensive Swahili language classes for the first three months. She also had to learn a new form of sign language, as American Sign Language is not used in Kenya. She quickly came to love her job and teaching the kids. Over the two years she has had some amazing experiences, but recently has become frustrated with the lack of resources and lack of respect.

There was an unfortunate incident involving a lieblous newspaper article written about her (didn't mention names, but how many white female Peace Corps volunteers are there at the deaf school? One!) that really upset her. She went to her Peace Corps supervisor and was told not to do anything about it, as Peace Corps volunteers are not supposed to contact any media.

So, after nearly two years, she is counting the days until she comes home. I think that if you can go with your wife-to-be, you would be much more happy and be able to deal with little headaches before they they get out of hand. From what I hear, homesickness gets pretty bad.

I commmend you for your interest and wish you the best!