What's new

PE subwoofer amp -> humming (1 Viewer)

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
I've recently built my first sonosub. It's works great and in general I'm very happy with it.

The only annoyance is the amp. It hummmmmmms. Not loud, but enough bother me if I'm not watching TV.

Is there anyway to get rid of the humming? I initially thought of plugging the amp into my reciever to be switched on with the receivers power. But no good, it doesn't have a grounded plug.

Any Ideas?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Sounds like a ground loop. Its a common problem with subs/amps. I would suggest plugging it into the same power strip/outlet as all your other gear. This way they all share a common ground. If this doesn't work, many people solve the problem with a 3-2prong adapter plug. These are lke a dollar at HD. Try the comon ground solution first though.

If neither of these suggestions work, you may have a hardware problem.

DO NOT use your receivers switched outlet for any amplifier at any time. You risk damaging your receiver!

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the warning.

The hum is not loud. Infact I had an Energy 8" subwoofer before and it had a little hum to it too. It's not a speaker hum. Before I had the sub assembled I had it plugged in without the speaker and it hummed a little.

I think the sound of the Amp is being amplified by the sonotube. I mounted the amp into the sonotube somewhat how SVS appears.

I do have everything plugged into the same powerbar. I will try the 3-2 plug adapter and see what happens.

Andrew Low

Grip
Hum can be introduced in the system from a lot of sources. Any physical connection might be involved.

For example, many people have trouble with their cable TV connection (into the VCR, VCR into Receiver.. hum)

To debug the problem, unplug everything.. and then slowly add back in components. Turning things off isn't enough -- you need to physically disconnect the devices.

Roo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks