PE plate amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert A, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Robert A

Robert A Stunt Coordinator

How do you defeat the boost on the PE 300-792 plate amp?

2. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

I was led to believe from the PE Tech Discussion forum that the instructions for the 300-794 also apply to the 300-792. However, someone recently posted that the -792's pre-out circuitry is different, so now I'm a little hesitant to blindly believe that the boost control works the same, too. I posted the question again, and I'll let you know if I get an answer.
    Peter

3. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Robert and Peter,
    The circuitry for the high-pass 'rumble' filter is identical between the -792 and -794 PE plate amps. So follow the .pdf sheet instructions for modifying the boost, applicable to both models. If you want a more 'personal' touch, I recommend buying the 'Active Filter Coobook', and downloading 'Filter Free' software (freeware) from www.filter-solutions.com. The software will let you see the response curve of your idea, while the book will teach you how easy it is to calculate new RC values for any desired response. Good stuff.
    ------------------
    bgarcia

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

What are the benefits of disabling the bass boost as well as the drawbacks of not disabling the bass boost? Does ported or sealed have anything to do with it? How about box size?
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

5. Robert A

Robert A Stunt Coordinator

I thought I read here on the forum a while back that disabling the bass boost on the 300-792 was different than on the 300-794. It may have been on the PE tech board. I can't remember. I think, though, it was said to disable it on the 300-792 you just cut out a resistor. If they are the same then it won't be a problem. I already disabled one on the 300-794 (put in new resistors according to the .pdf).
    Thanks for your input.