PE Plate amp good deal

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ross ish, Aug 26, 2003.

1. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

checking out their web site and noted plate amp on sale including shipping; best price i have seen from them that is not a customer return

2. Brian Steeves

Brian Steeves Second Unit

Yeah they run that special every once in awhile. Free shipping too! I may just have to pick one up to have laying around...just in case [​IMG].

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I got mine when it was sold for $99 plus shipping. This $99 free shipped deal is a steal thanks for posting.

I still think this amp goes well with a tempest or shiva for a low cost DIY subwoofer.

Good price. [​IMG]

4. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

It makes a great sub amp. I am currently doing the finishing work on a Dayton DVC using that amp.

5. Bryan.T

Bryan.T Agent

I am building a subwoofer using a Strkye AV-12 and I am wich amplifier would be a better deal. The PE 250 watt amp on sale for $99 shiped or 350 watt Rythmik Audio amp for $155. I am kind of leaning towards the Rythmik Audio, but my room isn't that large.

Thanks,
    Bryan.T

6. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

ross,

Thanks for the heads-up. I've been waiting on a sale on this amp to come around again and would have missed it if you hadn't posted.

I just placed my order. Thanks!

I'll be using this amp to drive my DIY Tempest sonosub (a Sunosub II clone). I'll be replacing an old Pro-Logic receiver that I've been using to power the Tempest. I've been happy with the results using the old receiver, but I recently blew a channel.

I assume that with the rumble filter fixed on the PE plate amp at 19.4Hz (iirc), that I'll probably be missing the 5 Hz Ultra-Low bass in Black Hawk Down entirely. Is that right? I understand that the rumble filter protects the driver, but 5Hz bass is really cool! [​IMG]

Any thoughts?

JKS

7. Greg Peniston

Is there a way to defeat the rumble filter? For use with a tactile tranducer, I'd want as low of an extension as possible.

8. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

jeremy

the pe amp is a great all around plate amp that seems to be conservatively rated at 250 watts. it does have its rumble filter set at 19hz. at the special pricing, it is a steal. naturally a linear amp will get you down to 0hz, but they do have a tendancy of blowing up drivers; I lost two mcintosh drivers this way before I switched to the pe amp.the amp i was using were the nad 908thx (capable of dumping 700+watts rms into a 4ohm load).

the rythmik amp has a much beefier power supply than the pe amp; night and day really. the rythmik has adj rumble filter. i also use the servo version of the rythmik amp in a 2.5cubic foot enclosure. this beast pumps like no other...with low distortion that is characteristic of servo controlled subs.

9. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

ok, so if the PE amp is rated at 250 w/rms what is the peak available wattage?

I see others with 150w rms, 600 peak.

So what about the PE?

10. Jeremy Stockwell

Holy Smokes! Merry Christmas to me!

UPS just delivered my PE amp that I ordered yesterday.

Let's see that's, . . . . right around 20 hours from order placed to delivery. Wow! I'm impressed!

Thanks Parts Express (and UPS, too)!

JKS

11. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

FYI, the sale's over now. Price is back up to $128, but still with free shipping.

12. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I lucked out. I ordered mine last week for 128 free shipping (been free shipping for a while), called them up yesturday and they refunded me $29. I guesss I work with them a lot though, so they like me [​IMG]

13. Jeremy Stockwell

OK, now how do I wire this thing to my sub (outboard)?

I've got a dual input cup on the enclosure with + to +; - to - for each voice coil on the Tempest.

I'm guessing that I'll split my receiver's sub pre-out and put that in the plate amp's low level ins (L/R). Then the +/- wires that come out the back side of the amp get connected to one of the inputs on the dual input cup (+ to +; - to -). I insert the bridge connectors that came with the dual input cup (which makes a parallel connection and a 4 ohm load to the amp) right??

Thanks!

JKS

14. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Don't split. Use the Left RCA input only, skip the right. It says in the manual it will treat this as mono sub. Then wire it like this:

Negative on amp to negative of first VC.
    Positive on amp to positive of second VC.
    Now connect the first VC's negative to the second VCs negative
    Then connect the second VC's positive to the first VC's positive.

This will run the load at 4ohms, as the voice coils are 8ohms.

Diagram (of 2 ohm dvc instead of 4 ohm, so double the numbers):
    http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...pedance=DVC4x2

15. Jeremy Stockwell

Thanks Ben, that's helps a lot.

I thought that I had heard people talking about splitting the pre-out signal to boost it so that the "auto-on" feature senses the signal sooner.

Are you saying that it won't make any difference, or that I shouldn't split it under any circumstances?

JKS

16. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Shoot, I meant to say use the Red (Right) input as the manual states.

It actually doesn't matter what you do. The two inputs are summed to mono right behind that nice looking peice of plastic. Attaching to right or left will do the same thing. Attaching to both would boost the input signal, BUT I think splitting a single line into Two will cause a cut of more than combining after the fact would.

So, all in all I would just hook directly to the Red one only. I do this, and have no problems with the Auto-on.

17. Jeremy Stockwell

Thanks again, for your replies, Ross & Ben.

JKS

18. Brendan_Lewis

If you can use a soldering iron, you can remove the bass boost, and maybe rumble filter. They have mentioned how a few times on the PE tech board. Or you can call their tech support and they will email you the directions as well.

I remember hearing they may also do this for you as well before it ships? Couldn't hurt to call.

19. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

I'm still wondering about the PE's peak wattage. Has it never been rated this way?

20. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Paul,

Why would you care about peak wattage? IMHO, that is a meaningless rating as it will only be what the amp will be able to deliver for a fraction of a second. The amp's RMS rating is much more meaningful.