What's new

PE or MCM 250w amp? (1 Viewer)

perry web

Stunt Coordinator
I am starting to collect parts for my subwoofer, I have to do this slowly so the wife does not notice....

I was going to pick up the amp first since I realy do not need most of my decisions made for this purchase (ie. sealed, ported, pr, shiva, titanic, dvc, sae1204 ect ect.)

So, is there any diffence between the two? The pe is $130ish (maybe get it off ebay for about 110 or wait for a sale) and the MCM is $89.

I know most people use PE, is it better or just better known?

thanks for any input.

Baldemar Garcia

Stunt Coordinator
I believe both amps are made by the same company, and the amplification section is the same. Only difference between them is the preamp section. They both have +/-'s, so pick based on your needs. I will warn you though, the one unit I got from MCM had a defective turn-on circuit. They were helpful and sent me the schematic, so I was able to modify it exactly to the circuitry used on the PE model. There were also some issues with the 'gain' structure throughout the whole preamp section, which surprised me. BUT, knowing that, I can't believe these problems aren't corrected, since Adire seems to be using a version of the MCM model. It's a tough call, especially considering MCM's current price.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Just out of curiousty, dose the MCM carry the Rum filter and if so where is it at and at what roll...
Also it's boost-less right?

Wow thats a bummer on the turn on circuit, for Joe average with out any real electronics soldering backgroud, (me), this would be a real pain.
Seems quite a few have picked the 89.00 MCM up over the last month or so, and this is the first I've heard of a problem.

Baldemar
When did you pick yours up?

Baldemar Garcia

Stunt Coordinator
The MCM amp does have the same boost/rumble filter that the PE model used to have (and still has with part # 300-796?). I bought mine when they first picked up this new model (they used to sell the 300-796). That was close to one year ago. I'm hoping to receive feedback from recent buyers to see if I got a lemon, or if they're all faulty. But if they're all built per the schematic I got, then I see them all having problems with turn on.

Baldemar Garcia

Stunt Coordinator
Long story short, I sold the 300-794 out of my sub to a friend. Bought the MCM (and asked for copy of schematic to modify rumble filter). Modified rumble filter, installed amp in box. Took sub to friend's house for demo, and the amp wouldn't power up with 'auto-on' or 'on' setting. His receiver is kinda weird, so I blamed the rcvr. Took sub home and set it up in my system, and the amp still wouldn't turn on, even with the 'on' setting. Looked at the schematic and compared it to 300-794. Noticed and REmoved extra turn-on circuitry from MCM amp to match 300-794, and turn-on now worked. Sensitivity was a little different, so I changed more components (resistors) to match the corresponding 300-794 parts. After all that, its behavior was very, very close to the PE model. Sub is now sold, and new owner has reported no problems.

And yes, I felt like an idiot for not checking the sub after installing the new amp, then hauling it 40miles for the demo...on a misty day.....in the back of my pickup :frowning:

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

MCM and P.E. reports the power outputs slightly different when driving an 8 Ohm load.

P.E.: Indicates 200 watts @ 8 Ohms.
MCM: Indicates 150 watts @ 8 Ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks