PE 300-806 500w plate amp Questions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Darren_T, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Hi guys,

It's been a while. I've been away and am finally ready to start construction on my Dual PR'd AV15. I'm looking at the PE 300-806 500w plate amp. It seems there is confusion on whether that is RMS or PEAK. Does anyone have the scoop on this? I've sent email to PE and am still waiting on a reply. I read about the LFE sensitivity issue and the resistor swap fix so it appears to be a good amp if I can just get the ACTUAL RMS wattage.

Anyone using this amp? Anyone got the scoop? I did a search but there is very little talk on the 500w and the 1000 plate amp.

Thanks.

2. DarrenK

DarrenK Extra

Hi Darren,

Darren here...

The 500 watts and 1000 watts are RMS ratings. Meaning, the amps will deliver their 500 or 1000 watts RMS wihtout any clipping. The rating is not based on the "peak" of the sine waves, but the RMS values.

However, this is not to say that you could continuously run them at 1000 watts without having thermal issues. Eventually, if run at full power with sine wave material, they will overheat and shut down. This is an issue when it comes to destruction testing, but isn't usually an issue in real-world environments.

Also, the turn-on sensivity issues have been addressed, and when the next shipment arrives it shouldn't be an issue any more.

I think I probably ended up with your email, I apologize for not responding sooner. I think I remember reading it, but didn't have a chance to make a response. Well, I guess you have it now.

See ya,

Darren

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Darren (K that is!),

Thanks for clearing this up for us. I just have one other "minor" question: Why is there a discrepancy between the specs posted on the PE website and the "manufacturer's spec sheet" which can be downloaded in PDF form?

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I don't see a discrepancy here. All I see is a bit of confusion about what "maximum" means. The manufacturer's spec sheet correctly lists the maximum power output when measured as Watts RMS.

So they didn't list the measurement method on the spec sheet... yeah that's not ideal. But PE has addressed this by clearly indicating the power output on the product page.

5. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Thanks DarrenK and others [​IMG]

It looks like I'll wait on the next shipment. I hate waiting [​IMG] I want it now now now!!!!! he he... ok I'm fine now.

Thanks again.

Darren

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ryan,

Well, IMHO, anything listed as MAX has zero to do with RMS as the two terms are mutually exclusive. If in fact the specs that PE has posted are correct then that is fine. I was just hoping that a PE representative would address the discrepancy since I haven't seen it addressed yet.

7. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Hmm, well I see this sort of usage all the time with regard to cone excursion and we all know to watch for it: 25mm is very impressive if its one-way excursion but not really anything special if its a peak-to-peak measurement. Either way its reasonable to say "maximum" so long as you specify the method you're using.

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ryan,

Yes, we see that in car audio all the time and that's why I usually ignore those companies' products altogether.

But more to the point, I've specifically steered several customers away from these amps because of the discrepancy in specs. Now that Darren has stated that these truly are the RMS values I feel much more comfortable in recommending them to my customers.

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ryan,

Yes, we see that in car audio all the time and that's why I usually ignore those companies' products altogether.

But more to the point, I've specifically steered several customers away from these amps because of the discrepancy in specs. Now that Darren has stated that these truly are the RMS values I feel much more comfortable in recommending them to my customers.