What's new

PE 250W amp died... need replacement... (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
My PE 250W amp died today. It acted as if there were a short and all 5 resistors on the bottom of the board burnt up. My dad is taking it to the electronics repair shop he works at but doesn't think they can do much with it. I'm going to have to replace it. I'm considering the Rythmik 250W Basic, 350W Basic, APEX Sr., or maybe a refurbished Samson S700. I currently have an AV12 but plan to pick up one of the closeout Avalanche 12s from Ascendant. Either will be in a ported encloser. Any suggestions on which to get or something i've missed? I'd like to stay as close to $150 for the amp as possible.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I would think 350 watts is the absolute minimum I'd want to use with either of those woofers (500 watts preferably). Otherwise, why not save some money and get a Shiva, DVC or Atlas 12.

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
I can recommend the Rythmik amps. I have a basic 250 and a friend of mine has a basic 250 also. Both have performed flawlessly. I believe they are "supposed" to be better than the PE amps as far as ground hum and distortion. I would imagine the 360W would be nice.
About woofers I have a 12" atlas and 2 15" atlas. I think you should consider them you can get a pair of them for roughly the same price as the avalanche 12".
I just threw my 12" atlas in a 85l inclosure I built for a Dayton DVC 12" and it embarrases the DVC. I was stunned with the difference. Chad recommended shorting the 2nd coil for low qts even though it was in a ported box and he was right. The sound quality is amazing. The best sounding ported sub I have heard first hand. I am not trying to dis any other products or anything. Just my opinion.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm planning on going w/ the Avalanche on recomendation from the guys at Ascendant and because I'm trying to get away w/ a smaller box than i currently have the AV12 in (5.35 ft^3). I'm probably going to go w/ the Avalance 12 in their reference 3 ft^3 box w/ a single 4" percision port. I'm leaning towards the rythmik 350 basic or Apex Sr. 350. Anyone know of any pro amps available in the $150ish price range (other than Pyle/Pyramid... blah)? I'm going to keep my eye out for a used Samson S700 or S1000 on the for sale forum too, i've seen a few recently, but none on there currently.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
The Cult-of-the-IB guys are always looking for cheap reliable pro amps. So far, the cheapest reliable amp they've found is the Nady XA-900 for $180 at www.musiciansfriend.com and a few other places. It'll do
400W x 2 at 2 ohms
300W x 2 at 4 ohms
200W x 2 at 8 ohms
675W bridged into 4 ohms

I think that's the best deal you'll find new. Maybe you can snag something used for $150 or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks