PE 240W plate amp dies after two days. Can anyone help diagnose?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Testa, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Andrew Testa

Andrew Testa Second Unit

Damn,

I was getting all exited about the amazing metamorphosis that my Tempest subwoofer underwent with the addition of a beefed up cabinet and a 250 Watt plate amp, when the amp suddenly stopped working. It's the PE 300-794, without the bass boost. It only has about two or three hours on it. I've posted on the PE board about it, but have had no responses. I don't know if the operators have any clue about tech support, but I plan to call them later today. I figured that there are quite a few experts here as well.

The box I put it on is sealed, ~4.5 cubic foot and heavily stuffed. There don't appear to be any leaks that I could detect.

I need to determine if I just blew the fuse, or if I killed it in some other way. I couldn't figure out which component was the fuse. Can anyone describe to me what the fuse looks like, how to tell if it's blown, and how to replace it?

The circumstances were that I was running test tones from the Stryke audio test CD. It was going strong, but never cranked enough that the Tempest was anywhere near excursion limits. I believe I measured a peak of 95 dB at ~50 Hz, at 10 ft from the box. The cooling fins never were more than warm to the touch.

Looking at my model of the sub in Unibox233, the Tempest should hit max excursion somewhere around 200W at 20 Hz and be somewhere around 100dB. I never came close to that at 20 Hz. I watched the cone and it never came close to excursion limits. So I'm pretty confident that I didn't push the load too far.

After runing the test tones I started LOTR to test some of the bass heavy scenes, but the amp had shut down after I ran the test tones. The power light was off. Unplugging it had no effect and letting it rest overnight had no effect, it's still dead.

Anyone have any ideas as to the fuse possibility? I'm kind of disturbed because I don't think the testing I was doing should have tripped any of the protection features.

Thanks for any insight,

Andy

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I've had extensive email conversations with Eric, one of the PE tech guys, about a problem I had with this same amp. I won't go into details, but I will say that this guy is very sharp and knows this amplifier backwards, forwards and upside-down. Plus he responded fairly quickly (within 24 hours) to all my emails and was patient and easy to talk to. I am very impressed with PE's technical and general customer support. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

I believe the Fuse is right below where the power cord plugs into the amp. There should be a little diagram shaped like a fuse. You will need a small screw driver to open the cover.
    If it is blown it will usually have some black marks on the inside of the glass. Also there should be a fine strand of wire running the lenght of the fuse, if not, it is blown. If you have a multi meter the best way is to Ohm it out to be for certain.
    Also make sure the red Volt switch is set to a 115V. (Just to the right of the power cord)
    [​IMG]

4. Andrew Testa

Andrew Testa Second Unit

Okay, I found the fuse, and it was indeed blown. I replaced it and it promptly blew again. Ran to Radio Shack for more fuses, unplugged everthing. Removed both amp and driver to check for obvious dmage. No damage to amp components that I xould see, and the driver was still ok. I put everything back together, plugged in the power cord BOOM goes the fuse.

I called PE and they told me to call Eric. I'm convinced this is a defective amp. since I didn't do anything with it that I didn't do to the sub when it was powered by a 2x60W stereo receiver.

I'll have to see what Eric has to say.

Andy

5. Andrew Testa

Andrew Testa Second Unit

I spoke with Eric at PE today. As soon as I started telling him about the fuses blowing he immediately diagnosed a bad power supply. They'll be shipping a new amp when they get some in stock and will pay for return shipping on the bad unit. You can't ask for better than that.

He said they rarely get defective units on this model and was very appologetic. Very good service.

Andy