What's new

PE 150W plate amp (1 Viewer)

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
I apologize in advance to those who may recognize this thread. I posted a very similiar question a couple of weeks back.

I have the PE #300-792. I built a sono-sub and flush mounted the amp to the tube.

The problem: I get a humming from the amp that's driving be crazy.

The hum is not from the driver. I had the amp out of the sub (no driver attached) and plugged directly into a wall outlet on the other end of the room. It still makes a humming sound.

When I walk into my basement I can hear the hum and basically whenever there is no sound coming out of the speakers. Even on really quiet scenes on movies or TV.

This sucks, because I've been really happy with the performance of the sub.

Does anyone else notice any noise from thier amps? I did notice a slight hum with my old Energy 8" sub. Is their anything I can do or do I have to get used to it?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm no electrician but, it sounds to me like you might have a bad transformer... or something is not grounded properly. I would return it if it's not too late.

Another thing to check, is the input voltage switched properly (115/230)?

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
sounds like a ground loop problem. i've heard people using "cheater" plugs from home depot to deal with this, even if it's not the best solution. i think it's basically just a 3 prong to 2 prong plug adapter.

unrelated, but got any pics of your flush mounted amp? i'm curious how people are doing this. if i ever build a sonosub, i'd like a flush mount myself.

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mike, I sent you an email with a MSpaint drawn picture, hope it helps.

KevinMcL

Agent
Wow- I'd like to see that, too! Do you get a better bass response if you flush mount yourself into the sub? Wouldn't that block the view for others?

j/k

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
So I tried plugging in the sub with an extension cord that has only 2 prongs. No luck.

I guess the hum is just the amp working. Possibly, the amp hum is amplified inside the sub. Looks, like I have to learn to live with it.

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
One person mentioned a Transformer Delamination.

I just got another post and the quy said that his does the same thing. Here is his reply.

"My 300-794 amp also makes a very soft buzzing sound that can only be heard within a foot or two of the amp, and only when everything else is quiet. When you unplug, it's compeltely quiet.

I think it's just with the design of the transformer or something, I doubt it's a ground loop."

Makes me feel a little better.

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
Now more problems.

After trying the 2 prong deal, I get no sound from my sub. I think the amp is not putting out enough power to drive the sub.

Can using the a 2 prong plug (used extension cord, not adapter) harm the amp?

Anybody have any ideas as to what could have happened?

warrick

Stunt Coordinator
Hal

Check a few things like is the extension cord wired correctly ( is active to active etc) you can still get an appliance to run when the Neutral and the Earth wires are crossed.

If this is the case the cutting off the earth pin will create an open circuit and nothing will run.

also check to see if the amp itself has been wired correctly

Have fun

Warrick

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks