What's new

PE 15" Dayton DVC or Tempest (1 Viewer)

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for advice on a sub 70%HT/ 30%Music. This will be my first DIY enclosure, I looked at the design and looks simple so I will make an attempt to building one.

Do you guys recommend a seperate sub for H/t and music or is the sub pretty flexible for both. I was looking at the 214L enclosure with the Tempest. Will I be able to use the Dayton DVC with the same 214L enclosure.

I also got a dedicated music set up and wanted a sub for it also, I think a 15" might be an overkill. I was looking at making a replica Rava 12" to mate with my Gr Research P1's. What do you folks think?

Thanks!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Wendell,
I'm hurt that you didn't ask me first! :)
Yes, you can use the Dayton in the same sized enclosure as the Tempest. They're practically duplicates of one another. The biggest difference is that the DVC 15" can be used in a slightly smaller enclosure for the same alignment. The 214L enclosure will work very well for both music and movies alike. But if you have a separate system and the higher SPL's aren't an issue you could easily just build a DVC 12" based sub for the second system. I'd shoot for something between 45-90L sealed if you wanted a music only sub similar to the Rava. That'll get you somewhere between a Qtc=.7 and .577 respectively if you use heavy fiberfill in the enclosure.
Brian
P.S. We haven't talked in a while but I'll be leaving my full time job at the end of this month to pursue HT design and install as a full time business. I'll need LOTS of prayers now!

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Brian,
How are you? Still got you in my prayers. I'm glad to see you in these forums. These forums have really got me in trying to attempt a sub enclosure. My uncle just came back from overseas and is now stationed here in Nevada. He does a lil' woodwork and has the tools. I'm also attempting it myself because I don't have the funds to have them built. I'm short on hours at work.
I e-mailed you about your AV-1+ a few weeks ago to see how they are coming along. I'm very pleased with the P1 sound and the enclosures you made for me and have gotten a lot of compliments. Brian, I see that you have an extensive background in H/T, Hi-Fi, cabinet building, etc.. by looking at all your post. I'm sure and confident that your venture into a full-time business will be a succesful one.

Thanks for the help and I'll be sure to ask you first in the future! Great to hear from you again!

Will Orth

Stunt Coordinator
Well I use #4 Dayton 10" drivers in a 6th order 6 cubic feet box in my stairwell and it I LIKE IT! 25hz-80hz
tunning although the 25hz part is 3db down and the 80z part is about 6db up, great for music! now I need an Notching EC with presets so I can play..lol

THE Bass is tight due to extreme braceing.

Will

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Wendell, I have the 15" Dayton DVC in a 270 liter sono & it dose very well for music or movies in fact this is the third a by far the best sounding enclosure I have used it in yet.
And hay Brian, even though I don't know ya Good luck with going out on your own. I've been there before trying to start a body shop & can say it was rough for me ( I always had buddies buggin me for freebies & couldn't get anything done ) so best wishes, hope it works out for ya:emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Wendell,
I wanted to let you know that I finally had a chance to hear my dad's finished A/V-1+'s today along with his 175L DVC 15" sub. I'd heard the sub with movies but never with music before. I can tell you that it sounded very, very good! Nice and tight without being the least bit boomy. It's stuffed with 64oz. of polyfill and tuned to 17.5Hz.
BTW, the A/V-1+'s sounded great as well!
Joe,
Thanks for the well wishes. Luckily my two best buddies already own their own business (well, one's a family owned business) and they don't give me anything free but do give me decent discounts. So they know not to expect anything free! :)
Brian

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone!

I went with the Tempest and will be in an Adire alignment design, I see that the prints are already made out on the site. I didn't go with the DVC because there are no prints available for the enclosure design, Although a smaller box would have been better. So, I went and took the easy route.

Can you folks tell me if this will sound clean if I crossed it at 100hz for HT? or should I use another enclosure design?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks