PE 12" DVC Sub Sale

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Ven, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Ben Ven

Ben Ven Stunt Coordinator

2. Rick Thomas

Rick Thomas Agent

So is this driver pretty good compared to the 12"Shiva?Was thinking of getting a shiva,for my sono sub.Thanks

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

This Shiva has a smidgen more Xmax, the Dayton has a smidgen more Sd. Result is both have a Vd of 1.53L. The Dayton also has a smaller Vas so it can be used in smaller enclosures. Fs is Shiva 21hz, Dayton 21.7hz. Qts is 0.39 for the Shiva and 0.37 for the Dayton.

They are extremely close in perfromance.

4. Michael Do

Michael Do Agent

I just ordered 2. This is an awesome deals. Thanks Ben

5. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

I snatched up a MCM 250W plate amp for $95 plus unknown shipping to Canada.

I am sorely tempted to get this too!

I have a piece of 20" sonotube that is roughly 3.5 feet high ready to go for a sub. Would this be a good match for it? I was considering going Tempest, but for this price the Dayton looks good. Talk me out of it and convince me to go Tempest for almost twice the price, or convince me that this will give me the bass I need in a 20" tube that I would like to keep under 3.5 feet total height!

Thanks

Robin

6. Ben Ven

7. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

I have the same question (2) PE 12" or a Tempest. I have no enclosure constraints. The room is 16x22x8 and no openings to the outside. TIA

8. Rick Thomas

Rick Thomas Agent

Just ordered 2 of these puppies!!

9. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Two 12" DVC drivers would have about a 20% displacement advantage over a single Tempest. And they should require a slightly smaller enclosure than a single Tempest. Look at the Dumax results. The measured Vas is only 96.3L (3.4ft^3). And the measured Xmax is 16.44 mm but the measure Sd is 464cm^2. Measured Fs is 21.17Hz. Basically it'll perform veeery similar to a Shiva but in a smaller box.

I bought a couple of these during a previous deal-of-the-day and believe me this is a great woofer at an unbelievable price. They've even got the nice, spring loaded gold plated terminals. The only problem I've run into is a bit of tinsel lead slap against the cone. But some small pieces of double sided tape and foam cleared that problem right up.

If I didn't already have one, I'd be buying one of these right now. Shoot, I may order another or 2 anyway!

Recommended sealed boxes are 1 to 1.3 ft^3. I built one of these for my brother-in-law and its unbelievable how much bass can come from such a small box! I'm still working on a vented box for myself.

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I've thought about replacing the SV12's in my dual sealed enclosures with a pair of these. The enclosures are 3.4ft^3 heavily stuffed. According to Unibox, I'd get a Qtc of .578! I do have one at home and could try it by itself and just turn off the amp on the other one. Hummm...

But I think building my sealed 1803 will take priority!

Brian

11. Lee Weiss

Lee Weiss Stunt Coordinator

I just received mine yesterday, and they were kind enough to give me a credit for the price difference. I was almost going to order another one, but just don't have the room for a double.
    On a side note, after a long drawn-out labor, I have another healthy daughter[​IMG] . Baby comes home tomorrow and sub gets built soon after.

12. Michael Do

Michael Do Agent

I think they fixed the tinsel slapping against the cone with their latest batch.

13. David B O

David B O Auditioning

Dang...ya'll might have convinced me to try making this instead of buying a JBL PB12.

I'm rather certain I can handle building a square box.

Probably.

14. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

If I didn't already have a 12inch Titanic MK2, I'd grab one of the DVC's [​IMG]
    Brian, you should be able to get some awesome SQ out of that box, but you may not like the "anemic" bass.... it's one of those personal preference things [​IMG]

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

16. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Ben,

I went ahead and picked up two.

17. Ben Ven

You guys are giving me subwoofer envy. Like Rydy, if I didn't have my Shiva, I would have snatched up a couple. Enjoy!![​IMG]

18. Ben Ven

Sorry Rudy, I spelled your name incorrectly. Sloppy fingers. Sorry.:b

19. DerrickN

DerrickN Stunt Coordinator

Awesome deal, got myself two. Thanks Ben, you just saved me some $$$. I'll buy you a drink if you live close to me :)

20. DerrickN

DerrickN Stunt Coordinator