What's new

PDA remote controls any good? (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Here are two different ideas, and I find them both interesting. I thought I'd see if anyone else had any experience or thoughts. I did a search of HTF and came up empty.
http://www.connected.tv/Home - PALM

http://www.pdawin.com/tvremote.html - PC

I am intrigued by the idea I can make a custom remote with a custom layout. I could put my mactros all where I want them and lable them simple enough for any guest to figure out.

I presently don't own any pda, so I can buy whatever.

BobAZ

Stunt Coordinator
When I looked into this a couple years back, most PDA IR transmitters were only good for 10 feet or less. The newer models may be a bit stronger. If you are close to the equipment then you may not have a problem.

EDIT: I guess I should note that I tried it on a Palm III or IIIX. A friend had a Palm V and both of us didn't find the IR range adequate to use them as A/V remotes.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I tried omni-remote on a palm m100 and was very disapointed. Not only was the IR strength not quite enough, it also responded very slow to the press of a button. I've since went with a Pronto TS1000 and haven't looked back. The Pronto works great, has great IR distance, and has yet to disapoint me.

Hope this helps :)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have used the Nevo on my iPAQ 3970, but I find it is only useful for changing channels at bars and airports. The built-in library of codes is impressive. It is a nice bonus feature, but I am glad that it is not my main remote control. I much prefer the hard buttons on my MX-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks