pda for remote control

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sathyan, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

Jun 17, 2002
    My PDA (a Palm Professional) has died. I'm going to get another Palm-based PDA (under $200). While it will be used primarily as an organizer, I'd like to consolidate some of my remotes at the same time (right now I have to use three). I've been playing around with OmniRemote in the PalmOS Emulator and this seems like a good program.

The PDA's I'm considering are :
    Sony Clie SL-10 $130
    Palm Zire $95
    Sony Clie SJ20 $180
    Palm m105 $100
    Palm m125 $130

Should any others be on my list?

Are any of these better than others for remote control purposes (esp. IR beam range - 10-15 ft would be enough)?

I don't think a OmniRemote hardware modules (which require a PalmIII hotsync port) will work with either Sony or the Palm Zire.

Are there any good alternatives to OmniRemote?

p.s. admin: please feel free to move if this is the wrong board
  2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Jul 19, 2002
    I bought a palm m100 for use w/ omni-remote. It took quite awhile to setup, even with omni-desktop. It was also very slow to respond to commands. Changing channels on TV, even using the hard buttons, was ubearably slow.
    I don't know if a newer PDA w/ a better processor would improve this, but i was overall not happy with the m100 as a remote.
    If you still want to give the pda-remote thing a try, i have a lightly used M100 for sale [​IMG]
  3. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

Sep 15, 1999
    Seriusly, for 100 bucks you can get a Pronto 1000 and have way more flexibility and functionality than with omniremote. I tried omniremote way back when with my palm M100 and got awful distance, maybe 6 feet at best with fresh batteries.

Get the pronto.....
  4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001
    pda's aren't a good choice. the main problem is their weak ir sensor. plus all the other problems stephen mentioned.
    save yourself the heartache...get a universal remote instead.
    check out www.remotecentral.com too.