What's new

pda for remote control (1 Viewer)

Sathyan

Second Unit
My PDA (a Palm Professional) has died. I'm going to get another Palm-based PDA (under $200). While it will be used primarily as an organizer, I'd like to consolidate some of my remotes at the same time (right now I have to use three). I've been playing around with OmniRemote in the PalmOS Emulator and this seems like a good program.

The PDA's I'm considering are :
Sony Clie SL-10 $130
Palm Zire $95
Sony Clie SJ20 $180
Palm m105 $100
Palm m125 $130

Should any others be on my list?

Are any of these better than others for remote control purposes (esp. IR beam range - 10-15 ft would be enough)?

I don't think a OmniRemote hardware modules (which require a PalmIII hotsync port) will work with either Sony or the Palm Zire.

Are there any good alternatives to OmniRemote?

thanks
sathyan

p.s. admin: please feel free to move if this is the wrong board

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I bought a palm m100 for use w/ omni-remote. It took quite awhile to setup, even with omni-desktop. It was also very slow to respond to commands. Changing channels on TV, even using the hard buttons, was ubearably slow.
I don't know if a newer PDA w/ a better processor would improve this, but i was overall not happy with the m100 as a remote.
If you still want to give the pda-remote thing a try, i have a lightly used M100 for sale ;)

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Seriusly, for 100 bucks you can get a Pronto 1000 and have way more flexibility and functionality than with omniremote. I tried omniremote way back when with my palm M100 and got awful distance, maybe 6 feet at best with fresh batteries.

Get the pronto.....

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
pda's aren't a good choice. the main problem is their weak ir sensor. plus all the other problems stephen mentioned.
save yourself the heartache...get a universal remote instead.
check out www.remotecentral.com too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinman11201
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale