What's new

PDA Emulation (NES/SNES/Genesis/Etc.)? (1 Viewer)

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
I'm currently looking into upgrading my pda and getting one that can run a variety of emulators in order to expand my portable gaming lineup. I don't really know what I need to do this, though. I'm assuming I need a PocketPC-running pda, PocketPC compatible emulators, and probably a flash card to store the ROMS I need.

Any suggestions from those who have ventured down this road? I know some companies even make compatible joypads that connect to certain models.

I'd like to know what model pda for this task people would recommend as well as what programs would be required (specifically looking for a MAME-type program, NES, SNES, early Atari stuff, and Genesis).

Thanks!

mike.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Mike:

I'd go for a Pocket PC product - I'm pretty sure there's a mame version for them.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Thanks, Alex, I'll take a look around that site.

I'm just surprised more people haven't done this yet...

mike.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Zophar's Domain is my emulator resource of choice. Emulators for just about any system imaginable, including the Palm (!) and even console systems (in case you feel the need to play NES and Spectrum games on your Game Boy Advance). For the Pocket PC, you can get emulators for arcade games (via MAME), Apple II, C64, PC-98, Atari 800 and 2600, Lynx, Game Gear, Game Boy, Genesis, NES, SNES, TG16, and Sierra AGI games. Some of these are in a pretty primitive state, though (the SNES emulator, for example, only works on iPaqs and runs nothing but Super Mario World). ROMs are up to you ("reputable" emulator sites don't bother with them, but there are a few public domain ROMs you can try out). Alex's link seems to be a bit more current (there's no mention of the MSX or ST emulators at Zophar), though, so you probably should peruse both of them. If you do use Zophar make sure to check the official homepages for the various emulators offered instead of just downloading them directly, since there may be an updated version that Zophar hasn't become aware of yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks