What's new

PDA as a remote (1 Viewer)

eric nyhof

Stunt Coordinator
Most of the new palm pilots and PDAs have IR on them, are their programs that you can get to use then as a remote for a reciever, tv ect... It would be pretty sweet to be able to use it like the universal remotes that have touch screens.

eric nyhof

Stunt Coordinator
I see that pacific neotek has a handspring module that enhances the IR and has more versitillity and its 60 bucks. I so see that sony's clie comes with remote software and is good up to about 15 feet.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I used my handspring visor with only the IR port and it was good for at least 8 feet. My couch was not further from the gear so I never tried to see how far it would go. But from that point on my couch it would do every button that I had programmed.

Nick_Shah

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's the new Sony Clie PEG-T415 that comes with the remote software. Apparently Pacific Neo Tek is planning a similar unit for the other Clie models.

-Nick

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
This is one of those "great on paper" ideas that just doesn't really work out well in actual practice.

Can you use many PDA's as IR remotes for your Home Theater, etc.? Yes. Would you really want to do this? Probably not.

Once the "gee whiz" factor wears off it's really not that practical. For one thing, as others have noted, most PDAs do not have an IR output anywhere near as powerful as the IR output of any of the Pronto models. (In fact the Prontos out-power most regular component remotes which makes it (the Pronto) far more functional in that regard). Yes, you can purchase devices to extend the range of a PDA's IR capabilities, but that just adds another piece to tack on, malfunction, get lost, etc. The whole deal.

In addition, if you use your dedicated PDA as your HT remote then, unless you live alone and/or are the only person to use your equipment, the PDA either stays in your media room or your PDA doesn't travel with you. It can't do two things at the same time. (Kind of like a 1 monitor household with video games.)

All things considered, with the prices of basic Pronto and similar units dropping, it is, in my opinion, far more prudent to get one of these units to do the job properly with a minimum of confusion and inconvenience.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just to point out the practicality (or impracticality) of the situation.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
There is a program that does remote capabilities with a Compaq and is pretty customixeable, and it does hav an IR extender, but it is still lacking in refinement. I think that if someone has a PDA and does not want to shell out the extra $200+ for a pronto, then a $20 program and $20 extender might be a cool thing to purchase. If someone is looking to get a dedicated remote, then it is probably not wise to make the PDA his or her first choice. I know that I handle my remote pretty roughly, and a PDA is not something that I would like to toss around alot.

kevitra

Second Unit
I looked into doing this a year ago, and decided the $240 for a pronto was a better choice.

Who wants to use a stylus to change the channel? Not me. Plus, as Robert pointed out, if you take it with you to work others can't operate the equipment.

Fun to play with, but not practicle.

eric nyhof

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the input guys. I don't have a PDA right now, but am thinking about getting one this summer for work. I also don't have anough money for a pronto, so wondered if a PDA would be a good choice. Sounds like its not the most practicle way to go.

James_T

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased a Pocket PC (HP Jornada 568), and I had planned on using it as a remote. I downloaded the software from this site:
http://www.pdawin.com/
that allows you to download CCF files for a ProntoPro into the Pocket PC. It works OK, but as others have stated the range is poor and more importantly very directional. You have to point the PDA directly at the component you are using, making it impracticle for the most part. I have already gone back to using my old Pronto.
What sort of devices can one purchase to extend the IR range and make it not as directional?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks