What's new

PD disc review #1 "Great Bloodsucking Vampire Movies" (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Public Decency
Review #1

The Home Theater Forum is a great resource for all of us folks with too much time on our hands and too much disposable income which we tend to blow on DVDs and overpriced a/v equipment. The members and moderators have done a fantastic job of informing the great unwashed about every detail about upcoming and current discs.

But who will speak for the Lonely Ones? Those guilty pleasures which reside at the bottom of our piles of discs and which we obtained for a mere pittance? I’m speaking, of course, of Public Domain discs. I don’t mean discs from Image and Kino containing lovingly-preserved and restored copies of lost cinematic treasures. I am speaking of discs that come from slightly shady distributors featuring less-than-pristine transfers and usually costing less per film than we usually spend for lunch. True, the vast majority of these discs look and sound like crap. However, I don’t mind shelling out a few bucks to experience films that I might otherwise overlook and that almost certainly will never merit a decent release on any home theater format.

I see a lot of questions posted about PD discs so I decided it was high time that these cheapo treasure chests had their day in court. I think we can all pretty much agree that one doesn’t buy these discs with demo material in mind, so my reviews will focus more on whether or not I think the disc or set in question offers value for the money invested.

So without further adieu, on to review number one:

[c] [/c]

[c]GREAT BLOODSUCKING VAMPIRE MOVIES[/c]
[c]Studio: BFS[/c]

Like many PD discs, this one contains multiple films on one handy disc; and as is also typical of its ilk, the films vary wildly in content and presentation.

THE DEVIL BAT
(1940)
Starring Bela Lugosi, Arthur Q. Bryan, and a host of nobodies.

Plot in a nutshell:

Lugosi plays a mad scientist (I know, a stretch) who invents an aftershave lotion that has the effect of attracting a murderous, oversized bat who proceeds to suck the blood out of the unwitting schmuck who slaps it on. I swear I can’t make this stuff up.

Entertainment Value:

Surprisingly high. Lugosi is splendidly over-the-top and ultra serious in his portrayal of the mad doctor out for revenge on the family that has withheld the profits that have resulted from Lugosi’s inventions. Tainted aftershave lotion is an idea born of pure genius. Throw in a wacky stereotypical shutterbug, an obviously fake bat on all-too-visible wires, and an appearance by the immortal voice of Elmer Fudd (Bryan) and you have a great party film that never outstays its welcome with a brief 68 minute running time.

How does it look and sound?

The print used wasn’t in the greatest of shape, with frequent scratches and other blemishes, but it’s certainly watchable and the dialogue is intelligible. It’s about what you’d expect from a low-budget horror flick from the 1940’s.

THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA
(1974)
Starring Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, and Joanna Lumley

Plot in a nutshell:

People are dropping dead in 1970’s London. Suspecting that Dracula is behind the murders, (who else?) a descendant of Dr. Van Helsing and his granddaughter hunt down the bloodsucker.

Entertainment Value:

Kind of dull. Hammer Studios was in a pretty steady state of decline by the time this film went into production. In fact, this was the last time that Lee would don the cape for the company. It’s a shame that he had to go out on such a lackluster note. The sad fact is that not much happens in the film. There is very little action and way too much talk to make the film truly enjoyable. Frankly, Lee and Cushing look bored in their performances. The 1970’s décor is kind of fun but it certainly can’t save the film. It’s worth a watch for Hammer completists, but that’s about it.

Well, it’s letterboxed so you at least get a fairly close representation of the framing that was intended by the filmmakers. There isn’t much else to recommend about this transfer. The colors are completely blown out to the extent that anything red or orange smears all over the screen. I suggest turning the color level down quite a bit when viewing it. The sound is a little muddy and unremarkable. Anyone who wants a better representation of the film is better off finding the Anchor Bay disc.

THE LAST MAN ON EARTH
(1964)
Starring Vincent Price and some Italian folks.

Plot in a nutshell:

Vincent Price is the Last Man on Earth. Everyone else is a type of vampire-ish creature. Spookiness ensues.

Entertainment Value:

Kicks your ass five ways from Sunday! This is actually the best adaptation we have so far of Sci-Fi legend Richard Matheson’s “I Am Legend,” the other being the cheesy but somehow beloved THE OMEGA MAN, starring Charlton Heston. The script remains pretty doggone faithful to the novella with a few minor changes here and there. As you can tell from the cast list, it’s an Italian production. The upshot of this is that the entire film, including Price’s dialogue, is dubbed. Honestly, though, it doesn’t detract from the film. The movie is creepy, kooky, mysterious and spooky. Dare I say, altogether ooky. The story lends itself well to a low budget and the director did a fine job of evoking an ever-present feeling of loneliness and despair with the stark black and white widescreen photography. LMOE is an overlooked classic and worth finding for any horror fan.

This is where your investment pays off. GBVM is currently the only DVD available that offers LMOE in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The transfer most likely came from the laserdisc of the film that came out in the ‘90s. It’s not a great transfer but it’s not bad. The sound is also fairly clear.

Overall, GREAT BLOODSUCKING VAMPIRE MOVIES is a worthwhile purchase for folks who are interested in horror films. LAST MAN ON EARTH is worth the purchase price alone.

Avg. cost per film: $2.50

Worth it?: Most definitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks