PCS vs other X10 dimmers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry Wysocki, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Terry Wysocki

Terry Wysocki Stunt Coordinator

The PCS light dimmers go for about $70 each. How different are they from other X10 compatible dimmers that sell for as little as $10-$20? One Example Some of these other switches ($7.99) say they're "Dimmable when using an X-10 controller with dimming features". Is that something special?

2. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

Terry, here is a compairson chart(left side of page)switches

3. MikePon

MikePon Extra

I have gotten heavily involved in home automation in the last couple of years. I began by buying a bunch of those $20 X-10 switches you are refering to. Although they do the job, they have given me headaches on more than one occasion. Usually it is false triggers.
    Leviton makes a number of variations of Powerline Carrier switches from the basic (like the X-10) to the advanced (like the PCS) with corresponding prices. One of the most important features of the Leviton switch is what they refer to as Intellisense. In a nut shell, Intellisense reduces false triggers.
    The true rocker feel is a very expensive option regardless of the manufacture (doubles the price of the switch). IMHO, it is only money well spent if I were installing the system for someone other than myself. I do have a number of people come into my house and have problems turing the lights on and off, but once you are use to it, it is easy.
    Worthington Distribution www.worthdist.com sells what they refer to as cost saving compatibles. I purchased a couple of these. They were Levitons. I got the Intellisense but not the true rocker feel. They work great and they were only $30.