PCM, Upsampling, can someone please explain?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by gomez_a, Mar 16, 2002.

1. gomez_a

gomez_a Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

Can somone please explain to me what PCM is . . . I mean, I know that it stands for Pulse Code Modulation, but I don't know how PCM figures in my HT system. Is PCM the input source signal used for playing CD's (I use a Toshiba SD2300 DVD player to play CD's). Any links explaining this would be helpful as well

Also, I have an ONKYO 898 (which has 192kHz/24bit DACs) w/upsampling capability. Upsampling, as I understand it, doubles the CD's original sampling freq during playback for a more 'detailed' sound reproduction (so the manual says) - what are your impressions of upsampling of std CD recordings (which i think are at 44kHz?)

Also, how can upsampling improve on the sound that has already been recorded at a lower sampling freq? Does the DAC algorythms use some type of interpolation to "guess" as to what the recording's signal would be between point in the the new sampling freq?

Thanks!

2. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

3. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

4. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

And here's some more info:

"The following is a brief interview between Dave Clark and Tony Taddeo based on the Digital Antidote Two

review. For more information on the Digital Antidote and to read more about Tony Taddeo's thoughts on the

changing world of digital technology, visit the Taddeo website.

An Interview with Tony Taddeo

Q. Is the Digital Antidote Two compatible with the new formats?

A. Yes. The Digital Antidote Two will upgrade either narrow band SACD or 24/96 to be comparable to wide

band SACD or 24/192.

Q. What is upsampling and is it compatible with the Digital Antidote Two?

A. Yes, the Digital Antidote Two is completely compatible with upsampling. Upsampling is a new term for an old

technology. It is a variation of (subset of) oversampling.

In oversampling the filter frequency is raised to a much higher frequency that is a multiple of 44.1 kilohertz. The

information remains bandwidth limited to 44.1 kilohertz, thus causing phase distortion.

In upsampling the filter frequency is raised to a higher frequency that is not a multiple of 44.1 kilohertz, but an

arbitrary frequency that may be divided by 44.1, 48, or 96 kilohertz. This gives the upsampler the ability to mate

dissimilar frequencies. Thus a 24/96 DAC may be used with a normal 16/44.1 CD. This cuts the cost of having

to have two separate DAC’s. Because of this cost cutting most 24/96 DAC’s will be upsampling. Like an

oversampler, the information is bandwidth limited to 44.1 kilohertz, and is phase distorted.

This is a point of great confusion to consumers, because they wrongly believe an upsampler somehow converts

the information to 24/96. This absolutely is not true! An upsampler is just another form of oversampler. Some

have suggested that an upsampler results in slightly lower jitter, but even if it does, this is not the best way to

reduce jitter. Because 44.1 kilohertz is not an integer of 96 kilohertz, you do have to lose some information by

upsampling. This is why the industry went to oversampling rather than upsampling over a decade ago. You

could legitimately call your present oversampling CD player a synchronous upsampler."

Larry

5. gomez_a

THANKYOU FOR THE INFO!

6. Bob Br

Bob Br Agent

gomez_a,
    Thanks for asking the question. I, too, have recently purchased na Onkyo 898 and was struggling with the same issue just this past weekend. It's great to have a place like this to get answers to your questions. You guys are great[​IMG]
    Bob

7. gomez_a

Bob,

How do you like the 898. I'm very pleased w/mine, but there's so many features/adjustments that it takes awhile to learn all the capabilities of the unit.

Have you messed around with teaching the Onkyo remote commands from otehr remotes? I follwed the instructions, but it didn't work for me - did you have any luck?

8. gomez_a

is anyone familiar w/this book:
    Principles of Digital Audio
    by Ken C. Pohlmann
    I saw the info on it in Amazon, but I'm not up for reading a college engineering type textbook w/all the math woorlked out, blah, blah, those days are behind me [​IMG]