PCM Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scotty Gad, May 30, 2002.

1. Scotty Gad

Scotty Gad Auditioning

Well the more and more I read the more and more I get confused. So I think I will just ask and see if you guys can help me. I set up a digital (toslink) connection between my pannasonic dvd player and my kenwood reciever. The reciever is capable of dolby digital, prilogic 2, dts. I underdtand that dts needs to be set to bitstreem, as well as dolby digital. What about pcm down conversion should it be on or not. I really do not understand what it does, but will it being on make the sound better? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you turn it on, you will only get stereo PCM. Leave it off.

3. Scotty Gad

Scotty Gad Auditioning

Ok thanks, I think the people at panasonic could not make it more confusing. Thanks for the reply.

4. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

I won't disagree with John, because I've read the exact same thing. However, I've run Dolby Digital and DTS just fine with a DVD player that only offers PCM out.

I don't pretend to understand why it works but it seems to work either way; perhaps it varies depending upon the AV receiver.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    On my players, when set to PCM downmix, I only get Stereo (according to the reciever), and there is a HUGE difference between that and normal Dolby Digital. My receiver would auto detect and set to DPL-II, giving me surround, but it did not sound as good.

6. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

Scotty,
    Are you asking about the PCM option in the Dolby Digital menu, or the PCM downmix menu? I just purchased a Panasonic that has three menus in the digital output section. I'm not sure if everybody is clear on what your inquiring about.

One is for whether the Dolby Digital signal will be output as Dolby, or be converted into a PCM prologic mix. This option should definitely be on 'bitstream.'

The next is for DTS. It should be set to 'bitstream' as well.

The third is for handling 96Khtz/24 bit signals (which are rare, but present). The Panasonic will not output these signals in their original form over the digital link, so you have one of two options here:
    Switching to 'off' will allow the player to decode 96/24 signals without modification, but they will only be output through the analog RCA connections, and the digital port will turn off. Switching it to 'on' will downconvert the 96/24 to standard 48/16, which CAN be sent over the digital line.

Confusing? Yes it is. Basically the third option is deciding what the player will do with 96/24 signals: keep them intact, but only playable through the RCA connections, or downsampling to 48/16 so your reciever can do it through the digital link. Hope this helps.