PCM Downconversion and Other Settings on my Panny DVD-RA60

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Pat_TL, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

My Panasonic DVD-RA60 DVD Audio/Video deck is connected digitally to my Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver via an optical cable AND I have a set of RCA cables connecting the DVD player's analog outputs to my TV set incase I just dont want to watch DVDs in surround; 99 percent of my time is spent watching DVD films in Dolby Digital or DTS. While this system has been up and running for awhile now, I just want to make sure I have the correct settings under the Panasonic's "ACTION" setup menu...

Under "AUDIO" I have these choices:

MULTICHANNEL or 2-CHANNEL: I have this set to 2 CHANNEL since I was told MULTICHANNEL in the DVD player's setup would only be used if I wasnt using the digital cable to the receiver but instead using the 5.1 analog cables...BUT, no matter what I set this on --- 2 channel or multichannel --- it does NOT affect the sound one way or the other; I have tried it both ways and nothing is affected when playing back multichannel DVDs. But what SHOULD it be on?

PCM DOWNCONVERSION: YES OR NO: I am not even sure what this should be on at all; again, no matter if I have this setting on YES or NO, I STILL get multichannel DVD sound when playing back DVDs....and just to remind, I am connected through a digital optical cable to the receiver AND RCA connections to the TV set, so what should PCM Downconversion be on?

DOLBY DIGITAL AND DTS are both set to BITSTREAM; I know this is correct.

Now....on the RECEIVER...when I press the DVD input, and go under the Input Setup menu, I have selections for:

DIGITAL FORMAT: I have set this to ALL, so it decodes whatever is coming into the receiver (DD, DTS, etc).

MULTICHANNEL: YES OR NO: Now...what should THIS setting be on? Again, my manual for the Onkyo TX-SR600 seems to say that this should only be set to Yes if the receiver is connected to a DVD player using the 5.1 analog outputs and inputs; so I set this to NO because Im using a digital cable...is this right? And yet again, no matter what I choose --- yes or no --- I STILL get multichannel surround audio when playing DVDs.

ANALOG/PCM SOURCE: There are settings here for Direct, Stereo, Surround, etc......what should this be on? I believe I have this on SURROUND so that way the receiver kicks Pro Logic II on for 2-channel Dolby Surround DVDs.

PCM fs96kHz SOURCE: There are settings here again for Direct and Stereo; I think I have it set on Stereo. What should this be on?

DIGITAL FORMAT SOURCE: The settings here are for Surround or something else; I have it set for SURROUND....is this correct?

Thank you in advance for any assistance with this.

2. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Pat_TL,

The MULTICHANNEL or 2-CHANNEL is only works for analog and will have no effect on digital outputs. Since you're using 5.1 analog as well, put it on multi-channel. If you have it on 2 channel, a material which is in 5.1 for example, will be down-mixed to 2 channel.

PCM DOWNCONVERSION: This determines how to output audio with sampling frequency of 96Khz or 88.2Khz. Selecting YES means convert it to 48Khz or 44.Khz. NO means output as 96Khz or 88.2Khz.

Note, the PCM DOWNCONVERSION comes in handy if your reciever cannot handle 96Khz. You need to read your operating manual to find this out. However, the unit will use downconversion reguardless if the sampling frequency is above 96Khz or the disc has copy protection.

The reciever setings, I'm unsure off.

matt

3. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

Pat_TL,

The MULTICHANNEL or 2-CHANNEL is only works for analog and will have no effect on digital outputs. Since you're using 5.1 analog as well, put it on multi-channel. If you have it on 2 channel, a material which is in 5.1 for example, will be down-mixed to 2 channel.

"PCM DOWNCONVERSION: This determines how to output audio with sampling frequency of 96Khz or 88.2Khz. Selecting YES means convert it to 48Khz or 44.Khz. NO means output as 96Khz or 88.2Khz.

Note, the PCM DOWNCONVERSION comes in handy if your reciever cannot handle 96Khz. You need to read your operating manual to find this out. However, the unit will use downconversion reguardless if the sampling frequency is above 96Khz or the disc has copy protection.

The reciever setings, I'm unsure off."

Matt,

Thank you very much....but with regard to the way I have the connections on my DVD player, I need to correct a small error that you commented on...I DO NOT have the 5.1 outputs connected to anything on the back of the player; I am running TWO CHANNEL RCA cables to the back of my TV set (along with the optical digital line to the receiver)...so, should this setting STILL be on MULTICHANNEL? I am thinking I should just keep it on 2 channel because when I watch DVDs through the TV set, without surround on (which is never often), I WANT the 5.1 soundtrack to downmix to 2 channel for the TV's speakers, no?

And can you just tell me what the PCM Downconversion SHOULD be on, ideally? Is there a standard with this, or do I need to check with my Onkyo manual? I read on another site that this should just be left on "YES" so it covers all bases and discs being played...

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Pat, that's a great player you have. The worst thing I did was sell mine !!....I've been unable to find something like it for less than $300.

5. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

Really? You thought the DVD-RA60 was great? Was just curiuous because I havent found any comments from others agreeing that this player delivers somewhat gorgeous images....

6. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Since its not a progressive scan player, it gets no love around here. Just look at the build quality of it,and also look where it was made...Japan. (I don't think they make anything there anymore)....I sold it to another guy here at the forum and he couldn't believe how nice it was. I've went through 3 players since and tommorow I'm purchasing another one.

7. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Pat_TL,

In that case, you will select 2 channel because it'll be stereo which is what you will want. I was confused by the second paragraph when you said 5.1 analog which is why I said multi-channel.

Reguarding PCM Downconversion, typically it's no since it is the default. The actual way it should be selected is by checking the reciever's specs to find out its maximum PCM digital input it can handle. If it's not listed in the manual, call them up to get answer.

I happen to contact my Harman Kardon because my reciever manual didn't list it.

In my case, using the new Panasonic DVD-S97, the PCM Downconversion has been replaced by "PCM Digital Output". This basically lets me select the maximum PCM sampling frequency. The options available are Up to 48KHz, 96Khz and 192Khz.

Since HK have live tech support people online, they told me the answer within 2 minutes that my reciever can handle 192Khz.
    ----------------------
    anthony_b,

Have you considered the DVD-S97 as a possible replacement? It's a very good unit since it's loaded with features and has the Faroudja FLI-2310.

I do own the previous Panasonics like the RP56, RP82, RP91 and A470EN which are made in Japan. I do believe the parts are still made in Japan, however they can be assembled from China.

matt

8. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

"In that case, you will select 2 channel because it'll be stereo which is what you will want. I was confused by the second paragraph when you said 5.1 analog which is why I said multi-channel.

Reguarding PCM Downconversion, typically it's no since it is the default. The actual way it should be selected is by checking the reciever's specs to find out its maximum PCM digital input it can handle. If it's not listed in the manual, call them up to get answer."

Matt,

Thanks a lot....I figured it should be 2 channel, but wasnt sure...do you have any idea why then NO MATTER WHAT I KEEP THESE SETTINGS ON --- 2 channel or multichannel --- I STILL get multichannel audio from Dolby and DTS DVDs? So, even though I have a digital cable connecting the player to the receiver, that speaker setting should be 2 channel?

Dang....I have PCM Downconversion on YES right now; I should change that? I should check with Onkyo first, huh?

9. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Pat, do you want to sell me your player ?

10. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

Anthony,

Why do you ask? Do you really want a DVD-RA60 that badly? LOL. I didnt really wanna sell it...its doing fine; are you serious about how much you like this model or are you joking around? Seriously...

11. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

"In that case, you will select 2 channel because it'll be stereo which is what you will want."

Another Quick Question For You Matt,

With regard to the above statement you made, why do you say, just out of curiosity, that it is STEREO that I will want? You mean stereo when I want to watch DVDs through the TV's speakers, right? So thats why Im going to set the setting here to 2 Channel?

Dont forget...I have the RCAs going to the TV set, but I ALSO have a digital optical line going to the receiver for surround.....

12. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Pat, I just picked up a player at lunch time. Send me a PM with a price if you would like to sell it.

13. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

Anthony,

I dont understand what you mean, that you "picked up a player at lunchtime" and then you wanted to know if I'd sell mine....

14. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Sounds like anthony is a collector and collecting the RA60s!! Get the DVD-S97!!

Pat_TL,

The multi-channel and 2-channel only applies to analog hookup only. Stereo and 2 channels mean the same thing since you are hooking to the TV L and R.

Digital hookups are unrelated to this feature which is why you hear no difference. If you want to control the audio on the digital, you're going to explore your reciever options to do so.

For PCM Downconversion, yes you should check. Technically there is nothing wrong with putting a YES, but you can be limiting the reciever's potential if the reciever can handle the PCM sampling frequency of 88.2Khz and 96Khz from the player.

matt

15. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

"The multi-channel and 2-channel only applies to analog hookup only. Stereo and 2 channels mean the same thing since you are hooking to the TV L and R.

Digital hookups are unrelated to this feature which is why you hear no difference. If you want to control the audio on the digital, you're going to explore your reciever options to do so.

For PCM Downconversion, yes you should check. Technically there is nothing wrong with putting a YES, but you can be limiting the reciever's potential if the reciever can handle the PCM sampling frequency of 88.2 Khz and 96Khz from the player."

Matt,

Thanks...I know stereo and 2 channel mean the same thing; I was just wondering what I should keep this on, but being that I have the DVD player connected to the TV via RCA cables, I will keep this setting on 2 CHANNEL...

So, essentially, it doesnt matter what I keep this setting on if my connections are primarily digital? How does this setting --- 2 channel or multichannel --- affect that ANALOG output which I have running to my TV?

16. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

You could cut down on the unecessary quotes because it's taking space up.

Yes, that's correct, the settings don't refect digital connecitons.

2 channel and multi-channel reflects the sound depending on the setup configuration. 2 channel just means you have two speakers and the material will be downmixed to two channels (ie. 5.1 material). If you have multichannel but you're only using a stereo setup, you probably wouldn't hear some things because it's it's going out through the rest of the analog outputs to create the 5.1 analog. Similar story if it's the other way around.

matt

17. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

So, essentially, is it "okay" to leave the connection as-is right now, that is, having the DVD player set at 2-Channel (even though I have a receiver connected to the player via digital and the player connected to the TV via analog RCA?)

18. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Pat_TL,

Your connection and settings is fine. I would still check the downconversion as too.