What's new

PCM Down Conversion (1 Viewer)

Hello all!

htf.com :) has been great for me so far, have another quick question to be answered. My dvd player (Panasonic DVD-S35) has the option for PCM Down Conversion. It has the ability to convert the default output sampling frequency of 96kHz/88.2kHz to 48kHz/44.1kHz. My new Onkyo 601 is on it's way as we speak, and looking at the details and specs of the receiver, I am not "educated" enough to know if this receiever is capable of processing the 48kHz/44.1kHz frequency.

What does this conversion allow or do? When the sampling rate changes does this improve sound quality? Below are the specs for the Onkyo TX-SR601 from crutchfield. I didn't get it from crutchfield but here are the specs for people who will be able to answer my question :D

Key Features:

85 watts x 6 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES and Pro Logic II decoding
DTS Neo:6 modes
dual 32-bit processors
Wide Range Amplifier Technology
dual-room/dual-source audio (powered and preamp stereo output for 2nd room)
composite-to-S-video conversion
192kHz/24-bit DACs
learning/multibrand remote
CinemaFILTER (adjusts tonal characteristics of soundtracks recorded for movie theaters for a home theater setting)
component video switching: 2 in, 1 out (50MHz bandwidth)
digital inputs: 3 optical (including 1 front-panel), 1 coaxial
optical digital output
2 audio, 5 A/V (including 5 S-video, 1 front-panel, and one 5.1-channel) inputs
on-screen display (requires TV with direct video input)
40 AM/FM presets
banana plug-compatible binding posts for all speakers
aluminum front panel
oversized power transformer, filter capacitors and heat sinks
no phono input
17-1/8"W x 6-15/16"H x 17-9/16"D
warranty: 2 years

David Judah

Screenwriter
All receivers can handle 44.1/48 kHz for CD and DVD respectively. You would set the DVD player to downconvert if the receiver could not handle 88.2/96 kHz. Most all receivers nowdays can handle those sampling rates, but it was an issue 4-5 years ago.

The new receiver should have no problem with the DVD's downconversion set to "No". In practice, there's not much source material above 48 kHz that would be coming into the receiver through a digital input anyways.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks