What's new

PC won't recognize modem,sound card, or ethernet card..help (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I got a new PC and have the chance to sell off my HP Pavillion 8668C this week...I decided to use the "WipeDrive" program and completely wipe the HD. Everything went well, so it seemed.

After the Wipe, I installed W2K with no problems..I installed PowerDVD and noticed I had no sound...I went into Device manager and noticed it had the yellow question marks next to my PCI ethernet card (installed), my OEM sound card (installed) and a USB card I installed way before the wipe.

Thing is all the above items worked perfectly before the wipe, but now it says windows can't locate drivers etc.for any of them.

Weirdest thing is I have US Robotics 56K modem installed in the PC and the PC won't even recognize it, no matter what I try. It's not in the Device Manager at all.

I'm totally stumped..I can't sell this thing if it refuses to acknowlege devices that worked before.

Note I had W2K on the machine before.

Any thoughts on what I can do to get this thing to recognize all these PCI cards?

Thanks!
Alfer

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Makes sense to me. If you do a wipe, everything is gone.
The exclamation points point to items that your OS does not have a driver for, so you have to give it one. If you don't have the drivers on disk, then you'll have to find them on line.

Glenn

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Yup..that'll teach me to do computer repair work at 2am in the morning!

I dug in the attic and found the boxes that still had the original driver software and got everything running again.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks