1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

PC with HTS? Or just CD+Rec+Spkers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jass G, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Jass G

Jass G Auditioning

Sorry i am just a poor college grad student with little HTS experience so plz bear with me.

I have a Dell Notebook with DVD rom. Well, of coz, every labtop has an audio output.

I am just wondering if it is good to connect my PC to a receiver with speakers?

The A/V cable is a one-two one for PC's. I wonder if that will reduce the quality.

I am thinking about buying a CD player, a reciever and a pair of highend bookshelf.

However, if i can fully use up my labtop, i might be able to buy a receiver, no cd player, but 5 speakers to build up a mini HTS.

Well, i am have very limited supplies on the green bills. So.....

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you do not have a digital out on the laptop, which most do not, you will not be able to get DD/DTS.

If you are only talking about 2ch, it will work, but how well depends on the output voltage of the headphone jack on the laptop not the cable. If the voltage is low, it will sound distorted and not be worth it.

3. Jass G

Jass G Auditioning

John, you are right.

My friend told me pretty much the same thing.

Thanks, i guess i will go with CD Player + Rec + bookshelfs for my music

thanks

best,

Jass