PC will not fireup with front power button?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Wes, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    It's my Friends PC (Windows98), It will start up after playing with the rear power switch and pushing the front button every once in a while. You can put the PC into standby mode and will start back up fine when you move the mouse but if it gets shut down any other way it will not restart easily.

Could it be the button on the front? I have never dealt with this problem before!

Wes

2. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Recheck/reseat the power button connector to the mobo. If that doesn't work the power switch might just be too worn out...

3. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Not sure what all that means but can I remove a switch from another PC and install it in this? Or because they all appear different size and shape you have to have the correct switch?

Wes

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I have my doubts that it would be easy to find a replacement switch that would fit it. I think the switch is probably just worn out since this is probably are fairly old computer (given the OS).

If it's a home-built system, or a system that complies with standards, then you could probably just buy a new case and move all the components over. However, if it's a Dell or HP or Compaq, or pretty much any other name brand you're probably SOL.

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

It could also be a shaky power supply that won't work properly (react to the power button), or it could be that the cable from the power button to the motherboard has been partially unseated or corroded.

Or it could simply be corrosion in the connectors inside the power button, for that matter.

6. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Looks like I will get her PC home and tear into it and just play around til I figure it out! I know it's no name brand PC and there is a Salvation Army type store (Desseret Industries) near buy that sells old PC for $10-20 so perhaps I can build a frankenstein for her!

Thanks
    Wes

7. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

I wouldn't say SOL. If money is an issue (and it probably is given the problem statement) You can wire any old switch into the system. It won't look pretty or original, but it will work.

8. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Why not do this ...
    Get the sucker powered on (somehow).
    Go into the BIOS and set the PC to power on when power is restored.
    Put the PC on a powerstrip.
    Wanna turn the PC on ? turn on the powerstrip !

9. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Could the Bios just be wrong to begin with?

10. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Don't think so if it used to work at one time. You could always check the bios settings (carefully) once you get it powered on.
    If pulling the power plug and re-plugging it doesn't power the machine on, I'd say the BIOS is set to power on via the button.

11. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Well I worked on it over the weekend and fixed it. I am not sure what fixed it cus I did several things which include some settings in the set up. It was set to an office setting as always on? Not sure what that does but I set it to Home and the other settings to off. It also had a froze up fan in the Power Supply so I replaced that. So now it works great!
    Thanks for the relies!

Wes