What's new

PC-Ultra... (1 Viewer)

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
I just got my Pc-Ultra today and I had it delivered to my parent's house since I was going to be at work. I went home during my lunch hour and didn't have much time so I just took the RCA's that were hooked into their sub and put them into the inputs of the Ultra. First off... yeah... shook the heck out of the place. Awesome! Love it! Felt like calling in sick for the rest of the day. Now nothing's been calibrated or anything...I just wanted to get a feel for it's brute strength. I put in Monster's Inc and went to the scene where the de-conatminate the entire square block. I didn't have the volume up too high really...i mean it actually was at a decent listening level...nothing out of the ordinary actually. However I could have sworn i heard a very slight TAP of the driver against the plate. I replayed the scene and i heard it again. It wasn't a "Loud clap" like i've heard people describe before when a sub bottoms out but i think it may have happened. So here's where my questions are... did i do damage already...is there a way for me to check? When i take the time to calibrate my system and I'm watching this movie at reference level will this happen again? Will using the sub cables I ordered improve quality? I listened to the other scenes of the movie with plenty of bass and it was spectacular...just awesome! I could not be happier...I just wanna make sure I'm not overdoing it already. ;)

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
If you did bottom out the Ultra you have it way way too loud. Also, bottoming out your sub won't hurt anything if you only do it a few times. NOT something recommended of course, but it won't kill your driver if it only happens a few times.

I suggest you get it all set up and properly calibrated before you test some serious bass scenes. Depending on room size that Ultra shouldn't be bottoming out at ref. levels.

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Thanks for your response. Damn me and my impatient ways. I'll just wait till i get it to my place before i try toying with it anymore. Thanks again!

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
You are not alone :D Did the same thing when mine arrived....plugged it in, turned the gain up about 1/2 way, and just started playing stuff. Rattled everything. After really getting it configured for my room I'm now running the gain about 1/4 the way.....and it cooks. With music sources, I don't know it's even on....until I turn it off and the bottom drops out. The only time I can localize it during movies is when the big bang, thump or explosion hits.

Everyone told me to take my time and calibrate it properly before trying to use it....and I didn't listen either. ;)

Mort

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Yea I did the same thing when I first got it as I had the knob up to high just trying to check the thing out at first with some low test material.. Scared the heck out of me as I can't remember my pb2+ (now called the pb12+2) ever did that. Us guys you know.. always have to try the thing before reading the directions...

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Okay... I must be a putz because I know I'm not getting the full potential out of this PC-Ultra since it was sounding better at my parent's place. Hmm... this is my current setup.

Mains and Center: Ascend CMT-340's
Rears: 2 Ascend 170's
Receiver: HK 7200

There has got to be something major I'm missing though...anyone with a similar setup have any suggestions? I think it has something to do with my receiver and it's settings and the crossovers and such. *sigh* I'll play with it some more in about an hour...got some errands I'm late to run. Thanks guys for your patience so far.

I haven't been able to really callibrate it because my Avia disk which i forgot to order through SVS and ended up getting through Amazon is late! Ack!

MikeNg

Second Unit
I had the 7200 for some time (now have the 7300!).
You should also make sure that you have the sub set to at least LFE. Problem is if the material you're listening to doesn't have LFE, you won't hear anything. So set it to L/R+LFE. Another option is to set the mains to small and the sub on, which will automatically route all signals below 80Hz to the sub channel.

If you have everything hooked up right, you should be hearing_something_by now.

Keep us posted.

Mike

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Hey Mike,
What you described (setting the mains to small) is basically what I ended up doing last night after reading the 7200's manual over and over again. I am definitely hearing some serious bass right now and am probably going to turn up the gain a little bit cause I'm having people over tonight and really wanna shake their boots. I wonder if it's better to increase the gain or if it's better to increase the +db for the sub via receiver. I'm still annoyed that I didn't have my Avia disc to get things just right. How are you liking the 7300 as opposed to the 7200? Are their lots of significant differences? I haven't done my HW on it yet. :b Thanks for your response...much appreciated!

-Johnal

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Increase thre gain on the sub vs the receiver....better results. It's all in the SVS manual ;) Avia is nice but you should be able to get things 90%+ with test tones and an SPL meter.

Mort

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
lol... Grace it's okay... it's just a little tough love is all. You know though...a downside to getting this sub is that my days at work are going SOOO slow now. All I want to do is go home and fine tune everything. I did do some basic callibrating with the test tones and the SPL meter but I know I was only half a$$ing my efforts because all I wanted to do was test out all my DVD's. I swear it feels like it should be Friday today and it's only Wednesday... *sigh* Thanks again everyone for your help and input!

-Johnal

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks