PC-Ultra w/PEQ & Autosound 2000 #101setup, use same for Hi-Res analog audio?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John Pine, Jan 30, 2005.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    My PC-Ultra will be in this week and I’m thinkin’ ahead. If I tweak any room spikes with this CD, will this setup apply equally to analog Hi-Res (SACD/DVD-A) audio? I already have Chesky’s Ultimate DVD Surround 5.1 setup Disc. It does have a low freq sweep, but it doesn’t display the current frequency being played. Do they make a SACD or DVD-A disc which does this? Or, should I even worry about this?

2. John Pine

John Pine
    So...I guess this means that there is no setup difference for room spikes between the digital (Toslink) and analog Hi-Res connections?

3. Bryan P

Bryan P Extra

Your room response depends on three things:

1. The acoustics of your room.
    2. The locations of all of your speakers.
    3. The location(s) of your listening position(s).

If these three things stay the same and if you have made the same settings for bass management, speaker size and speaker distances on both your CD/DVD player and your receiver/preprocessor, then there should be no difference in room response based on source. When doing your tests, make sure that you have turned off all DSP modes such as "TV Sports" or "Jazz Club".

4. John Pine

John Pine
    Well, the room, speakers and listening position will be unchanged but... Bass mgnt is where I think I’m going to have a problem. My h/k 525 handles BM for all Toslink connections. Crossovers are different for mains, center and rears. But, my Denon 2900 will be handling BM for Hi-Res audio. All speakers will be set to small and the crossover for the 2900 is 80Hz.

Hmmm...I wonder if I could play the Autosound disc through my analogs to my h/k's "Direct 6 Channel Input" and calibrate it that way. ???? Don't know if the my 2900 sends analog and digital signal simultaneously. Never tried it before. If it does send dual signals, that would work. Right?

My 5.1 setup:
    Toshiba 35"
    Parasound HCA-2003(L/C/R)
    h/k PA2000(rears)
    h/k AVR 525(pre-amp)
    Denon DVD-2900
    JBL S310-II's
    JBL S-Ctr II
    JBL S36-II's(rears)
    Velodyne CHT-12 (Sold!)
    Better Cable interconnects
    23'x18'x12' vaulted ceiling (LxWxH)Living room.

5. Bryan P

Bryan P Extra

Since I am not familiar with your specific gear, I can't answer for sure, but I think the answer is "yes". Why not try it and see?

Another alternative would be to use the same 80Hz crossover point for all of your speakers all of the time.