What's new

Pc to TV output-looking for a solution (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
OK, so as I've posted before, I'm looking to put together some spare parts that I have into a HTPC. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use it as a music server, to play videos on (I have a bunch of stuff I've either downloaded off the internet or digitally recorded myself) and play MAME games. The only thing I'm not all that sure about though is the TV output.

I've had some experience with TV output boards from ATI, and I know that they were pretty bad (I'm thinking original All-in-wonder vintage here). I'm assuming they've gotten better(I've seen laptops with onboard Svideo outputs that look pretty damn good) but price is a concern here. I've also seen standalone boxes that convert VGA to RGB/Svideo online for about $150. I guess what I'm asking is:

-What are people using to connect their HTPCs to their TVs, and what would you recommend for the types of applications I'm looking at?
-How far back can I go technologically and still keep the same TV output. For example, I can get an All-in-wonder 7000 pretty cheap now-would using a newer card make a huge difference if all I'm interested in is the TV out? What about other video cards?

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I would suggest the newish Radeon 8500, as you can find them with DVI output (not that that concerns you, but that model is more expensive) for $100 right now.
ATi's visual output is still much better than the latest GF4's with TV/DVI-out, but their number/polygon crunching still isn't up to par.
The 9700, however, is a whole different story. :)

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
The 8500 has a notorious gamma & driver problem....Word is its nearly resolved...But probably not worth the hassle with the 7500 being the same chip plus DVI output and substantially cheaper....

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Dave,

teh 8500 gamma driver issue is resolved, and the 7500 and 8500 use significantly different chips (though the dvd-playback functions are identical)

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Radeon 7500 and i have a question. The tv thats closest to the computer only has rca inputs. Is there a way to hook up the tv out on the 7500 to the tv using rca outputs. If so and if i need to buy something tell me what it is or give me a link to it. Thanks

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
I remember a S-Video to Composite adaptor with the 7500 dual display card....Do you have an AIW or regular 7500?

the 7500 and 8500 use significantly different chips (though the dvd-playback functions are identical)
Thanks for clarifying that - Since DVD is the only concern for HTPC, its easy to see how that gets confused....

Dave

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
i have the regular 7500. It has svideo out but not composite. Can i just go to radioshack or something and get one.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Yeah, any electronics store should have an s-videa to rca adapter...my video card came with one (actually, it came with a nice splitter, s-video split to s-video and rca)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks