What's new

PC to Tosh HDTV via DVI issues at 720p. bad, jittery image. blacks out (1 Viewer)

AdamS

Grip
Hello all, I have tried many things but cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong.. I will give you a full listing of my specs and hopefully you guys can help me out. I would be much appreciated because I am so anxious to get gaming on my HDTV!

My specs:

-- Computer --
Operating System: Windows XP SP2
Processor: Athlon 64 3400+
Video Card: GeForce 6800GT

Geforce Drivers: 67.02 (with DVI HDTV support)

-- Television --

Toshiba 65H83 (65" RP HDTV)

Now here's my situation.. I got a DVI cable from a friend awhile back.. It's probably not the best quality cable in the world, but I believe it's 6 feet. He said it cost him 39.99 (retail).

Anyways, I connected my PC to my TV and at first everything went crazy on the TV.. stuff looked scrambled as it booted up. Once it got into windows I could see a picture (at 1280x720p) but it looked very bad/jittery and would every 5-6 seconds would black out and the picture would come back. It looked TERRIBLE. However, once I set the resolution to 720x480 (i forget the exact res. but it was something like that) it looked pretty decent. The picture was stable and looked like I thought it should. However stuff was off the top/bottom/sides of the screen.

So 720p and 1080i are both no goes.. Each time I try I just get very bad picture quality which is very jittery and blacks out every several seconds. I know for a fact my TV supports these resolutions (technical specs in the link I pasted above) and I think it SHOULD work. In fact when I detect my display or go into the display wizard it detects my Toshiba fine and even has 720p as the DEFAULT resolution.

The other issue is that when I'm hooked up to just my CRT monitor I get the option of custom timings (resolution, refresh rates, and all those other detailed settings) but when hooked up to my TV that option is no longer there. I was thinking maybe the reason the picture was so crappy was because the timings were not set properly and wanted to change them but the option just dissapears when hooked up to my TV.

So anyways. What is the problem that anyone can tell? Could it be a bad cable? Do I need to set custom detailed settings to get the picture to look right? If so how do I do that if the option is not there when hooked up to my TV? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm super anxious to get gaming on the big screen.

Thanks very much!!
Adam

CRyan

Screenwriter
Get a program called powerstrip. Almost everyone hooking up a PC to a high res display uses this.

Also, your PC is probably using default drivers for the TV when connected. You need to manually choose a monitor driver than can accept all the resolutions you will need. You can simply make sure your PC is using the same drivers as it does for your other CRT monitor.

Anyway, do some research here on Powerstrip and come back with questions. You may be able to find timings that specifically worked for another user for your TV over at AVS.

Not sure about the 6800, but ATI is generally accepted as the best and easiest solution for getting PC to TV via DVI. I never could get a stable picture to display from the last generation GeForce.

C. Ryan

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
If that doesn't work...

I have an 65HDX82 and on the page listing the DVI input it states (quote)..

" This TV is not intended for connection to and should not be used with a PC (personal computer)"

I am guessing here but the cable you got isn't the same on both ends? If that is true then there is a compatibility problem.

Glenn

AdamS

Grip
thanks for the replies guys.. it was a cable quality issue.. replaced the cable with a monster cable and the image is perfectly stable now at 720p

AdamS

Grip
Hey guys.. I got my setup working thanks to a new cable (the one I had before must hae been bad because any signal over 480p was making it go crazy).. So I'm running windows in 1280x720 and it is stable and games look really cool on it... However. Small stuff appears pretty blurry. Any text or smaller icons are just blurred out like mad..

Could anything be done to fix this? Would having my set professionally calibrated help? I am willing to pay for it if I knew it would make the image sharper.

I am currently typing this message on my TV.. And I can read what I'm typing but it's definately blurry.

Thanks for any advice.

(for anyone wondering what my specs are check the thread I made the other day)

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
If your TV has stuff like line doubling, scaling and other image processing software - might that have an impact on the image quality?

Just a wild guess, but you might want to check. I'm probably way off, but... thought I'd mention it anyway.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you may not be getting 1:1 pixel mapping! The TV might be rescaling it when it shouldn't. I don't anything about that TV though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks