PC to Panasonic plasma via S-video?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JonahWicky, Mar 14, 2006.

1. JonahWicky

JonahWicky Stunt Coordinator

Can I connect the video out from my computer (NVidia GeForce2 video card)to the S-video input on my Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK? Are there any settings on either the PC or the TV that need to be adjusted to make this work?

2. Vivek_IVB

Vivek_IVB Stunt Coordinator

3. JonahWicky

The video card doesn't have a VGA output, only D-sub and S-video. I know I can run the D-sub to the plasma monitor, but was wondering about using the S-video instead.

4. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

It will work but it will suck. You just have to go to the property settings of your video card and turn on the s-vid out. With a monitor such as that you need a better connection that will at least allow a progressive signal.

5. Vivek_IVB

Suck is putting it nicely. Buying an HDTV, then using a 480i signal would make you wish you never bought the TV in the first place.

6. JonahWicky

I see. Thanks for the input. This brings up another question. Is it ok to run the D-sub about 25-30 feet? Will this result in signal loss?

7. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

What do you mean by D-sub. The only D-sub I know of is the same thing as vga.

25-30 feet won't be a problem, just get a decent VGA cable. You might want to consider using DVI if your TV has it. You can pick up a cheap graphics card with a DVI output from ebay.

8. Vivek_IVB

I think he meant the DVI/HDMI input on the HTPC.

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

No, he explicitly mentioned the output on the video card. And yes, VGA connectors are d-sub connectors (and every PC video card that can do color has one VGA output at a minimum and has since the VGA standard was invented. [​IMG]) I can't find the exact model number Jonah listed, but similar ones all seem to have VGA inputs, so that should certainly be an option.

10. Vivek_IVB

Well, not trying to pick a fight here, but here's what he said.

I.E., he got no VGA on his video card. That's not rare - Many VGA cards do NOT have VGA outputs. For example, here's a GeForce2 without a VGA-output. However, google shows that there's a GeForce2 MX that has a DVI-out and an s-video out, which is probably what he has.

To the OP: Do you still have the box it came in? Google claims that some of these cards came with a DVI-VGA adapter and an S-video->RCA adapter.

It might be as simple as slapping that adapter on, then running a long VGA cable.

11. JonahWicky

Maybe the problem is a combination of semantics and my general ignorance about this stuff. My graphics card has the basic monitor output connection, which I am refering to as the D-sub, I guess because it has a D-sub mini connector (as does the plasma monitor). Is this the same thing as a VGA connection? It also has a S-video connector. I don't recall getting any adapters with the card, but that may be an option.
    My original question was about the quality of using the S-video output from the graphics card. I think it has been answered that I shouldn't bother. Now I'm leaning toward just getting a new graphics card that has a DVI connector.

12. Vivek_IVB

Does the connector have 15 pins, or does it look like the pic in the above post?

If it's a 15-pin adapter, then it's VGA, and you cannot do VGA->DVI. Go get a new card. Don't skimp either - you've got a really nice monitor, spend at least $100 or more on the card.