What's new

PC to Component Video output for HDTV hookup (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I want to hook my Dell 4550 into my Sony 34in HDTV. I am currently using an old laptop to stream from my Beyond TV HD on the Dell into the Sony through an S-Video connection. I'd like to change it, if possible, to a component video connection. I'm moving my dell downstairs to become part of my new media center/room. I have an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 Dual output card with TV out in the dell. I do not want to hook up from DVI to HDMI, because my one HDMI input on the TV will be hooked up to my new Panny E55S upconverting DVR.

Any suggestions, or do I just stick with the Svideo connections?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Stephen:

The only think I can think of would be some sort of switcher that would allow you to take the HDMI off your laptop and DVD player and output it to your TV. I personally wouldn't use S Video off my PC to my TV when I had HDMI available.

Parker

Vivek_IVB

Stunt Coordinator
That's a pretty slow video card. Is replacing it with something that can do component out an option? If so, that's your best bet.

I believe nowadays you should try to spend around $150-$200 to get a good video card that does component out.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

This is exact what I would like to do. Any suggestions on a good card for this? Most of the ones I've looked at have S-video for TV out. I would prefer a component out.

The new DVD/DVR is already HDMI and upconverting...

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I just purchased a new Radeon 9600 AIW for $87.00 and it has two vga outputs. It also has a vga to component adapter. I've not tried using the second output yet but I don't anticipate it would be any trouble.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Research tells me that I cannot do this through my PCs DVI output. However, I can use a vga-to-component breakout cable (thanks for the idea, Eric_L!)

I just order a 6ft cable from Lenexpo in CA for $24, shipped.

Vivek_IVB

Stunt Coordinator
I have an ATI 9800Pro and bought the ATI purple dongle that has a component out adapter. Pretty well regarded, nowadays considered mid-end.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
We're moving into our new house sometime after mid December. That's when I'll be setting all of this stuff up. I may do a test check with my laptop though, on the whole vga to component cable...

Users who are viewing this thread