What's new

pc->stereo go boom (1 Viewer)

nic.b

Auditioning
ok i'll try to explain this the best i can it might get a little long too... my goal is to have a pc attached to my home theatre.

the problem i'm having is no matter what how i wire it up i end up frying one of the components.
here's how it went:

first time: i first hooked up the audio using my sb-audigy into the multisource in on my receiver. that worked. then i proceed to hook the s-video into the s-video in on my tv. as soon as i do that i hear a hum from the speakers and the circuit breaker flips. i ended up trying all the inputs on my tv using the rca out from the pc. well that wasn't such a good idea because now my tv is getting fixed, it has one charred s-video port, and two sets of fryed rca inputs.

second time: i still havn't got my tv back but i decided to try a different way of hooking it up with my secondary tv. this time i use the receiver as both the audio and video switching so all the a/v signals go to the receiver then to the tv/speakers. well this time i used optical for the audio and rca for the video, as soon as i got the rca cable near the video card plug i heard a pop in teh receiver and a spark at the end of the wire, it shocked me too (to the point of burning my finger :angry: ) so now i have no video switching on my receiver.

i really don't care that much about the receiver because it's one of the cheap sony home theatre kits. i've already decided that i need a new receiver so i'm looking at an onkyo tx-sr601.

what am i doing wrong here? when i get this new amp i really don't want to end up frying it too.

anybody got any suggestions?

DougPr

Auditioning
Sounds like something's wrong with your video card. That's the only item that's common in both instances. You connected Svideo to your video card and TV and fried your TV. You connected RCA to your video card and stereo video input and fried the input.

nic.b

Auditioning
oh yeah that's something else too... through out the process i tried three different video cards.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Sounds like there's a short in there somewhere. You might check the grounding of various components in your cpu, mainly the power supply.

nic.b

Auditioning
how would i go about checking the grounds.?

if i check the computer and it's fine should i have an electrician come and look at the wall outlets? the apartment i live in is quite old and has some poor wiring in it....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks