What's new

PC speakers? (1 Viewer)

JeanVanDam

Stunt Coordinator
I can't get any results from using the search feature. Anybody have suggestions for a 2.1 set up for PC speakers? I don't want a surround system for my pc, don't have the space yet, thnx!:D

VinhT

Second Unit
I suppose you could just read a bunch of reviews for computer speakers on the Internet. Unfortunately, many of the sites that do such reviews (namely computer sites like PC Magazine/World, Cnet, Tom's Hardware, etc) are rarely qualified to assess speakers properly. Reviews found on computer-oriented sites are extremely subjective and often lack any sort of objective data to back up their claims. An annoying thing I have found is that computer reviewers will frequently say that the computer speakers under review rival traditional home audio solutions when there is simply no basis for such claims (e.g. no measurements to back it up, etc). This has forced me to pretty much disregard computer speaker reviews in general.

Sorry I can't be of much help. :D But for around $100, you may want to choose between Creative and Logitech solutions. Both are respected, established companies in the field of computer speakers.

VinhT

Second Unit
Actually, just thought of a couple of ideas.

Wanted to mention another good brand, Altec Lansing. I purchased theALtec Lansing 221 set for my sister and she absolutely loves them. They are decent computer speakers and quite cheap too. Overall, Altec Lansing has had some decent computer audio solutions in the past.

I would stay away from speakers featuring micro-driver arrays.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Look for deals on the Klipsch ProMedia speakers. They have a 2.1 setup that sounds great and could probably be found under $100.

JimIroc

Agent
Logitech's flagship model uses a 3" tangband full range driver and some sort of subwoofer configuration. It's considered to be a very good sounding system, at least for what it is.

I took a DIY approach and purchased the raw tangband drivers. I bought the w3-871s drivers, which are a good bit better than the drivers used in the Logitech setup. I built enclosures, and right now I'm putting the finishing touches on my 8" powered subwoofer. My total expense was around $100, but the 8" sub is far too massive for what I'm using it for, so I'll be building another smaller sub for the computer. The tangband full range speakers have an incredible sound. Do a google search for "w3-871s" and you'll find plenty of info.

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator
I have not owned Tangband, but from reviews over at Caraudioforum, they are incredible. I use the klipsch pro media 5.2 system. it came with 2 subs and the 5 speakers. But if you get the 2.1 its cool too. It has an output jack too for another subwoofer, so you can have some fun with that. (I hooked up my home theater subwoofer to it recently just for some fun), unfortunetly it rattled a lightbulb out of its foundation in the ceiling. The sound is decent, but considering its for a computer, its awesome. gets decently loud.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
If you can go $150 the Klipsch GMX 2.1 speakers are tough to beat. They go VERY loud with excellent bass output. Also for about $60 the Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers are a great choice.

Chris_C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Check out e-cost's web site for the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 for $119. Great Deal.

Cagri

Second Unit
Yamaha makes some decent PC speakers. I am using one which I paid 40 pounds 4 years ago, will look for the model number when I get home....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks