PC Speakers in an HT?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Shelby-S, May 25, 2004.

1. Shelby-S

Shelby-S Auditioning

Hye guys, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to anything home theater related. I'm looking in to getting a whole new setup (TV, receiver, DVD player, etc...). My questions is: would it be possible to use a 5.1 PC speaker set with a home theater receiver?

Why? I'm looking to go entry level, and PC speakers are cheap. I'm also not an auidiophile (not even close), so I don't really notice the difference between descent speakers and great speakers. Also, if I dedcide to upgrade to some high quality speakers, I can use the PC speakers for, well, a PC.

Oh yeah, the speakers I was looking at are the Logitech z-640s. Very weak speakers, but all I need to fill is a 10' x 15' bedroom, and I don't listen to anything very loud.

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Yes you should be able to do what you want without a problem. I know the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 will do exactly what you are looking for. You can plug them directly into the reciever because i've done it with mine without a problem, and just get something to convert a 1/8th jack to a stereo plug to do your subwoofer... Shouldn't have a problem at all.

The ProMedia's will still run you like $400

3. Shelby-S

Shelby-S Auditioning

Cool, thanks!

The Promedias are pretty nice, but like I said, I'm going low, low budget.

4. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

The only thing you might have trouble doing is finding a PC subwoofer with a line level input. That is if you were planning on plugging the PC speakers into the Receivers amps.

If you have 5.1 analog outputs on your receiver then you can plug the speakers into there. You just need 3 RCA to 1/8" cables. I havnt tried it myself but it should work fine. BTW I have a set of used Logitech Z-5300's for sale right now [​IMG]. Only 2 months old, asking $60 + shipping. There a pretty big step above the 640's mainly in the subwoofer area but the sats are cleaner too.

Ryan

5. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

With the two side by side, I'm sure you would. It's really not a matter of being audiophile. [​IMG]

As most, if not all, PC speakers are active I would recommend you built a Home Theater PC (HTPC). For a lot less you could get the following:

- CD jukebox with lots of MP3's (as you said you're not audiophile [​IMG])
    - DVD player
    - game box
    - preprocessor which would mean you don't need a receiver

You would only need the HTPC, TV and a set of active PC speakers.

6. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

7. Shelby-S

Shelby-S Auditioning

Sami: I plan on building an HTPC in the near future. The thing is that I would like to run my Xbox and PS2 through the receiver. Is this possible with an HTPC?

So do you think it would be easier (and more rewarding) to buy a set of entry level (non-PC) speakers instead? If someone wants to shoot me some suggestions, that'd be great. [​IMG]

8. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

You could probably rout your XBox or PS2 sound to the PC and from there to the speakers, or just switch the hookup from PC to your console. Unless you have games for the consoles that you can't have for the PC, I'd just use the PC as your game machine. Better games in general.

If you're looking for a cost effective solution, HTPC is the way to go. Otherwise I would be looking at regular passive speakers with an active subwoofer. Getting a receiver and active speakers would mean that you wouldn't be using the amp section of the receiver at all and I see that as a waste of money. Especially since active speakers should cost more than comparable passive speakers.

9. Shelby-S

Shelby-S Auditioning

Okay, I'm starting to understand. I didn't really know what the difference between PC speakers and regular speakers was. Let me get it straight: PC speakers are active, becasue there isn't any amplification coming from the PC. HT speakers are passive because the reciever is amplifying the signal. Is that right?

I'm doing my research and looking for some budget speakers, but the only store I know of don't carry any of the brands listed in the FAQ (I know brand isn't everything, but it's really all I have to go by). What are some good sites for shopping for speakers? Sorry if this topic is drifting too far off-topic.

10. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Yes, that is correct.

What is your budget for the whole system, minus the TV?

11. Shelby-S

Shelby-S Auditioning

Hmmm, since I'm looking for entry-level, I'm guessing around $400 for the reciever and speakers. Maybe more, maybe less.

12. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

With that being the case, I don't understand why you are not looking at Home Theater in a Box systems which would provide you with some better speakers than PC speakers and a receiver, too.

Do yourself a favor and look at a few HTIB systems before you drop any cash on a receiver and PC speakers.

13. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

Yeah at $400 I think home theater in a box is your best choice. Fry's has been having some excellent deals lately on some Onkyo htib systems. If you're anywhere near a Fry's check out their Friday newspaper sale insert.

Actually, here are a couple of current deals from their website:

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3633605

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3633565

I'd definitely take either of those over any computer system.

brad cook

14. Matt Hobbes

Matt Hobbes Agent

Heh...
    Before I bought my budget htib system, I used my Altec Lansing computer speakers (about 2 months)! You just need a 1/8th to stereo rca plug which can be bought for $10 at radio shack... no need to plug into a receiver... just plug into the audio out of your tv... pc speakers are powered (active) like a bunch of people here stated... but I agree with most that for $400 you could get a decent htib that will outperform computer speakers... especialy since comp speakers normally use rather small drivers for their mains (usually 2-4").

I recommend onkyo HT-S670 for $399
    5.1 w/ receiver
    http://www.google.com/froogle?q=HT-S...Search+Froogle
    onkyo sounds pretty good for very little spent

argh...just saw brad posted the 760 for less money...that's def a better deal.

brad- nice calculator! heh

15. Shelby-S

Shelby-S Auditioning

Yeah, PC speakers are out of the question now. I'll take a look at those HTIB sets.