What's new

PC Speakers: Any Decent Ones Out There? (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Can someone recommend a good set of PC speakers that are not ridiculously overpriced? If not, any good resources/reviews on the Net?

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
What are you looking for? 2.0, 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 5.1 with decoders? Also, what is your budget? "Not ridiculously overpriced" is pretty vague.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, guys.

Did a bit of auditioning at CompUSA last night. Man, virtually all computer speakers sound like garbage. I'd rather spend more and get more. I'll try the Klipsch.

Or, I'll just pick up another 2-channel receiver and speakers.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
you can't judge anything from the setups they have at compusa or whatever. chances are they are being driven off the built-in sound card and have been abused to no end.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I have a Monsoon system and they sound terrific. They took a little time to break in, but now they are awesome. They do have a small sweet spot, so the correct angle is critical.

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
I'll put in a vote for the Monsoon Planar 9's. You may be able to find them for about $80 (shipping included) from places like Gateway. I've had mine since January, and have enjoyed them immensely.

Dalila

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm Then in the spirit of OVER spending.. chuck all those ideas.. KLIPSCH 5.1 Digital Dream 500 Watt PC Home Theater Sytem.

500.00 :) :D

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
The Klipsch 5.1 had incredible "knock them dead/nothing in this world even came close" type of reviews when it was intorduced a couple years back, HOWEVER, after it's been out for a while, there appears to be quite a bit of problem with the logitivity of the Sub (I think there is a design flaw), some people have exhanged them for 4-5 times in 6 months. From time to time, you will see them at EBay selling without the Sub (people just got tired of fighting/fixing/exchanging it). From what I read, it is still one of the very best sounding 5.1 (if not the best), it's just not "robust" at all. One more "got ya": if you buy your stuff from any place other than the authorized dealers listed on Klipsch's website, no warranty.

All that said, I've seen the 2.1 at EBay cheap, fairly regularly ($70 or so), may be worth a go.

Dalila

Stunt Coordinator
We own the 5.1's and they are beyond awesome. However, yes there have been issues with the sub, and they could have made the control pods volume control a bit less sensitive. Still overall, just... Awesome. :):emoji_thumbsup:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Man, virtually all computer speakers sound like garbage
Most do, but some sound pretty good though. The only issue I have have with computer speakers is that they usually come with tiny satellites and a sub. The problem with that is you don't get much sound in your mid-ranges :frowning:

I once tried adjusting some recordings I had and I had to bring out the mids to sound decent on my computer, but when I burned CD's of the tracks and played them in my car or HT, they were AWFUL because I overcompensated the mids due to the fact that the computer speakers lack in that area. :thumbsdown:, but other than that, most of the speakers I've bought (Altec Lansing, Harmon Kardon) sound good for what I need them to do on my computer.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Have you seen the new Klipsch GMX D-5.1 setup? It looks pretty cool, but I don't like how large the "control module" But, with built-in Dolby Digital and Pro Logic II decoding, I guess it's livable.

They had one setup at Circuit City where I live, but the sound system they use wasn't working. :angry:

I wish I could hear how it sounded.

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
If you could find it, this would be a great system...
Get a used set of the Energy Take5+ES-8 5.1 speaker system, for maybe $300. Then pair them with a entry level Kenwood/JVC/Sony/etc. receiver from BestBuy et al, for about $300 as well.

That would be one kick ass PC sound system! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks