PC speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon Duke, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Jon Duke

Jon Duke Stunt Coordinator

I need a new 2.1 speaker setup for my home PC.

I had a Monsoon Planar Media 9 set up, and it sounded fabulous. Lightyears beyond the Cambridge SoundWorks cube and sub package.

Anyway, I need to get a new 2.1 system as my Monsoon set up has died. I'd like to spend around 50 bucks, but if a case can be made to spend more I will. I realize the Klipsch 2.1's are phenomenal, but I have a hard time spending 150 bones for computer speakers.

Suggestions? Thoughts? I am all ears.

2. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

If you want noisemakers, then $50 should be enough.

If you want to actually listen to music on them, the $150 figure is a lot closer to what you want to aim for, IMHO.

Something like the top-of-the-line 2.1 system from Logitech or indeed Klipsch.

I mean, for the vast majority of us playing around with HT, a difference of $100 isn't really insurmountable and the speakers you get will probably outlast a number of PC's if you get something decent.

Just my opinion, of course.

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Do like I did and ditch the computer speakers and either get near field monitors or small high quality sats (I use Nht SuperZeroes with Northcreek cross-overs), quality amp (I'm using AudioSource amp1a bridged for center and amp 3 mains), and a decent sub (currently the SVS CS 25-31). Odds are you're going to have a computer for the rest of your life and make an investment for the years to come, it sure beats buying a "good" computer speaker every two years.

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I'm with Robert.

I would strongly consider a decent pair of bookshelf speakers and a small amp or stereo receiver. The investment will be worth it, and this type of setup can put a large [​IMG] on your face.

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I've been thinking about doing the bookshelf + receiver thing, but I'm worried that the speakers will interfere with the monitor. Thoughts?

As for the bookshelfs, I'm thinking about getting the JBL E30s ($149 per pair). Any recommendations on a stereo receiver under $200?

7. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

As far as interference, I don't think it's an issue. Most speakers, like those E30s, are shielded for placement next to a TV. I'm using a pair of S38IIs, but I have them placed quite far from the computer in a large office.

As far as an inexpensive stereo receiver, Onkyo has a few models that may be in that price range. Sherwood has a few inexpensive stereo receivers as well. I have no idea if any of these units are decent, sorry.

8. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    I use a pair of Paradigm Cinema 70s routed through the "B" channel of my HT receiver. No computer speaker out there can touch it! [​IMG]

9. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I just ordered Logitech's Z-3 2.1 system tonight (for one of my son's) from Amazon for $47.94 ($37.94 after $10. rebate). Free shipping. They are very highly thought of especially for the price. At $37.94 they are an incredible deal.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

UPDATE: I received the speakers yesterday. I am very happy with the sound and overall quality. Check the link, the price is down to $24.99 after rebate. This is rediculous.

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

11. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd recommend ditching the stereo receiver and go straight to an amp with gain controls (start low and work your way up). You can buy a pure amp like the amp1a for about $100 and amp3 for about $200 pretty often on ebay or ubid. I would even recommend a vintage receiver as well to get a quality sound that you'll use for the next 5 years easily. The other thing you can do is use your current AVR and upgrade the main system.[​IMG]

12. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I have no real equipment, and no concept of what most HT stuff is, so I need that translated into novice language for me. [​IMG] What are the differences between a receiver and an amp, and what are gain controls?

13. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    A receiver is typically your run-on-the-mill amplifier with a radio tuner built-in. These are the norm, amps (the same as a receiver minus the radio) are harder to find.

I'll let someone else take a go at gain controls (meaning I'm not really sure myself). [​IMG]

-Christian

14. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Well, this thread started out with discussion about $50 speakers and now suddenly stuff is being mentioned that comes close to what I have in my HT. [​IMG]

15. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Wait long enough, and it might turn into a thread about beer! [​IMG]

16. Rob Silver

Rob Silver Stunt Coordinator

You can get the Logitech Z-3 from Amazon.com for $35 - $10 MIR. Logitech speakers tend to have exaggerated bass even when you turnt he dial down to the 0, so you migh or might not like it depending on your preferences. High and Mid are good for computer speakers. I'd not spend over $50 for any computer speakers no matter how good they are. Gotta have the amp and real speakers.

17. James_S

James_S Second Unit

That's what I have and I love it. The sound is awesome.