PC Speaker Help (Logitech Z-560)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DavidBelis, Aug 11, 2004.

1. DavidBelis

DavidBelis Agent

Firstly, am I posted this in the right board? Because it's speaker-related, but they're computer speakers as opposed to home theater speakers. So if this should be in the PC-related board instead, let me know. Thanks.

Anyways, on to my trouble:

I finally picked up the Logitech Z-560's (I'm definitely glad I chose them over the 640's since they just sound so great for their price). There's one problem, though, that I'm hoping isn't a defect or anything.

Because they have apparently been discontinued, they've become extremely hard to find, so when I finally found them for $145 CDN (about $110 US), I picked them up immediately, despite the box not being in great shape (although I was assured they were brand new).

Anyways, while the four speakers appear to be new, some of the speaker wire was a bit bent at the tips, leading me to believe that they've been used. Also, a small section of the vertical metal pieces at the back of the woofer (vents?) is a bit bent. And finally, the box didn't include any owner's manual (or mini wrench that I heard was included to adjust the speaker stands).

All that is no big deal as it doesn't effect anything, but one thing that I am worried about is the fact that the left channel seems to be a bit louder than the right one. There's no L/R balance knob and winamp is set to centre, yet the front left channel seems to give off a bit more sound than the right. I even tried switching the L and R speakers, and the left was still louder, meaning speakers themselves aren't defective. And not only that, but even when I plug headphones into the headphone jack in the contol unit, the left seems a bit louder than the right, once again leading me to believe that it's not the speakers themselves.

This is especially noticeable at low volume levels (not so much when things are louder). If I keep the volume at low levels, pretty much no sound comes out of the right. I have to cross the certain threshold for the right channel to "turn on". And even when it does, the left still sounds a bit louder (mainly the forward sounds like lead vocals, lead guitar etc...)

I'm using a pretty awful sound card (Creative Sound Blaster PCI) if that matters. I'll be getting a new PC with an Audigy 2 soon, though, so I'm hoping that I'll notice some sort of improvement).

So, any idea what the problem could be?

I really appreciate it.

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I've noticed places like Canada Computers have those Z-560's and all the boxes were in rough shape. The metal thing at the back is probably the heatsink for the amp. If it has any bent vanes that means the box probably took some significant impact/abuse.

Regarding the balance problem, open the windows applet and make sure it's set to middle for master. You *could* fix the imbalance with this balance control but I'd be a little weary of that. You should have a 90 day in-store warranty, and I would consider exercising it.

3. DavidBelis

DavidBelis Agent

Yeah, Canada Computers is where I picked them, and I believe I got that branch's second last set (they said one more was in the back but that it was also in rough shape. I wonder why all of CC's Z-560's are all beaten up like that).

Anyways, I checked my Control Panel and everything is balanced. And yeah, I don't think artificially shifting things to make them more centered would be a good idea.

Returning the system might be my only choice, but I'm really hesitant to do so because that'll mean that I've gotta downgrade to the Z-640's since anyting higher would exceed my budget. I obviously don't want defective speakers, though.

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Remember that where you have the speakers placed can make a big difference. The area surrounding the left speaker could be boosting the volume. But that doesn't explain the headphones.

Have you checked the wire connecting the computer and speakers? I am sure that it is a 1/8" mini plug. It soulds like it might not be connectly tightly.

5. WarnerL

WarnerL Agent

DavidBelis,

I also have the Logitech Z-560's that I purchased earlier this year here in Calgary from a local computer store. I have also noticed this exact same "problem" that you are describing. And like you also described, it is more noticeable when I have the volume control at lower volumes but less noticeable at higher volumes. What I found to help was to lower the master volume slider in the Windows Volume Control to a lower than normal volume (less than a 1/4 of the way up) and also I moved the wav volume slider to less than 1/2 which forces me to turn the Logitech dial volume control higher to compensate to get back to a normal listening volume and I found this to help. Let me know if this helps you.