pc slows when browsing "my computer" or new websites....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ted Lee, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

okay, let's see if i can explain this one - it just started happening today.

1. when i browse 'my computer' using windows explorer, i get the waving flashlight icon. it then takes approximately 30 seconds for the info to show up. obviously it should only takes seconds. i can browse my c or d drives with no issues - this only seems to happen when clicking/opening 'my computer'. the info does eventually appear - it just takes a long time.

2. when using internet explorer, when i type a "fresh" address (one that i haven't used before or no longer in my history folder, browser cache, etc) -- it takes nearly a minute for the website to finally pop up. if i go to my favorites though, it loads the website with no issues. it's only when i type a new url in the address bar.

i've already run ad-aware and spybot - they found some stuff, but those fixes did not appear to fix the problem. i checked my hosts file and it looks good. i have one extra entry, but i think it's for my wireless printer (the ip address matches the printer).

any ideas? i'd really really hate to do an os reinstall.

[​IMG]

2. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

Can you check your Internet Explorer to see if it keeps any information in it's history?

Go to tools, Internet Options...General Tab, Days to keep pages in history?

If this is set to anything but zero, your computer saves any internet pages it goes to in your computer. (this is why previously viewed pages load so quick).

Also check your setting for Tempory Internet Files (also found on the General Tab). A large file size here can also take up room on your computer.

As for the long times to find "My computer", i'm wondering if you've got enough Ram or possibly a bad ram card causing this problem.

It also could be a symptom of something running in the "background" of your computer.

Depending on what version of windows you use. (I have 98 se)
    I just Ctrl+Alt+Del and get the running processes window and close any programs I know I don't need. Keeping Explorer and Systray and "End Task" all the rest.

If you can do this, then check your system speed and if it's good, then a background process is the problem.

Sorry i don't know the way to do this with IE ME/ 2000 or XP

3. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

defrag your system drive too. also what OS are you using?

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx all. i have an update.

i think, after all, that it is due to my new software install for my wireless all-in-one machine. how do i know this? because i also installed this freakin' software on my other two home pc's (plus two laptops) -- and they are all now also exhibiting this problem.

guh-reat. [​IMG]

i'm hoping to the all-mighty that the system-restore functionality works.