PC Mod Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Braddock, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

I have never moded a case befoe, but I am thinking about trying. What I would like to do is find an old beast of a computer at a yard sale or auction or something like that. If it doesn't work, or well, maybe I'll try to get it going or something...but my question.... Without buying a window kit, how do you attatch the plexiglass to the case? Is there somekind of weather stripping or something? Also, what is the best way to cut out the window hole, a Dremel type tool? Thanks for all your help in advance.

2. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

You can use a standard sabre saw with a fine tooth metal cutting blade. just cut slowly and dont rush it. Drill a hole in opposite corners to fit the blade. A dremel might work I just never used mine for this. I cut a whole as I stated for a ventilation fan.

Use double sided adhesive FOAM tape. This is about 1/16 inch thick and found at most hardware stores or a store like Home depot. This stuff hold reasonably well at first but once the adhesive "air" cures you probably will have to break the plexiglass to get it off. If you use the thin double sided tape it wont hold. Also clean the plexi suface and the metal suface with alcohol first.

3. Jeff Braddock

Richard, when you say saber saw, are you referring to a jigsaw?

I am thinking I will probably mount the glass behind the cutout as it will be an irregular shape. Will glass like from a windshield or car window work? If so, I might try to get an old piece or two from a body shop here in town.

4. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Jeff,

Yes a Saber Saw and a Jig Saw are one in the same. A Scroll Saw is similar to

Both the Saber and Jig the main difference being that a Scroll Saw has a table

Mounted to it and you have to either cut into the piece or remove the blade

To get it inside the piece for internal cuts.

As far as using actual “glass” that would be unadvisable. Plexiglas, Lucite or

Lexan are the plastics of choice and the only materials I would recommend. Real

Glass is not only hard if not impossible to cut in “odd” shapes but it is also as you

Know, prone to breakage. Plexi, Lucite and Lexan are shatter resistant materials

And they are simple to cut with a Dremel or Jig/Saber Saw.

5. Jeff Braddock

Brett,
    As I said, I would probably be mounting the plexi or whatever behind the cutout, not directly in it so cutting it wouldn't really be that important. I had just thought I could probably get a piece of glass from the body shop for free and I'm all about free stuff. [​IMG] I don't know, I might just do a better paint job and no cutting this time. I just don't know. Oh shoot! Brett, I'm sorry I haven't emailed you that article about the heat pipes yet. There are a couple of reasons 1. I scanned jpegs of the pages and since there are 4 or 5 pages, the attatchment is a pretty big one. 2. I have a dialup, and was going to send them from school, but haven't got to it, 3. I have been so busy with midterms and work that I haven't had a chance. I will try to get them sent to you sometime this week. Sorry.

6. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Jeff,

No rush on the article..

I did order the new CoolerMaster Heat Pipe for the Socket

478 Pentium 4 from Digitron.com no one else would custom

order anything for me! Should be here in 7-10 days.

I still would stick with Plexi,Lexan,Lucite. Honestly the

stuff is cheap, you don't need anything more than 1/8 of

an inch thick and that thickness is dirt cheap. I bought

a piece of Lucite 1/8" thick for my 61" RPTV and that's one

hell of a HUGE piece of Lucite and it was only $40.00!

Your looking at maybe $10.00-$15.00 for the piece you will

need.

7. Jeff Braddock

Well, what I am considering doing is this: you remember the Thundercats? well, I would like to cut out the logo, leaving the head sitcking out into the hole, painting the whole thing black, and having red lighting behind the window. I think it would look cool in the light,but especially in the dark. Either that, or doing the superman symbol. Theses are just thoughts. I don't really have any money to sink into the project (I'm a poor college student, blah blah blah). I am open to any ideas, but first off I need to find an old beast of a computer...

8. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

a lot of people just use a dremel for their cutting needs. just get a whole bunch of cutting blades and go to it. of course i assume most people do that because they dont have the proper equipment, so if you do have the equipment, then i say use the jigsaw, but if you dont, the dremel will work with patience...

9. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

David,

Actually the Dremel is more appropriate cutting equipement

than a Jigsaw IMHO. The dremel affords you a much better

sense of control for doing precision cuts. The problem is

that it may be very difficult to cut through steel with a

dremel. You can pick up 12 or so Fiberous Cutoff Wheels for

the dremel and give them a shot (it's what I use for cutting

metal)

Lucky for me, my side pannel is ABS Plastic and cutting it

will be simple!

10. Jeff Braddock

Well, unfortunatley it may be a moot point because I don't have an old junker computer to experiment on. I couldn't decide between the Dremel and the jigsaw (if I even did it) for a couple of reasons. 1. with a jigsaw I would imagine there would be a lot of vibration. This could cause some difficulties when cutting the round shape, etc. On the other hand, I believe it has a guide that would allow me to cut a percise circle. 2. the Dremel does not have this, but since the part the guide would be attatched to would be getting cut out it may be pointless to even consider this.

I may not even do it, I don't know. I thought it would be a little easier to find an old computer, even like a 486 or a Pentium 133 or something. *sigh* Oh well.

11. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i suggest buying a case, they really arent all that expensive. just something to tool around with, and if you make something you like, you can always transfer your main system into the new case.

try newegg.com, i highly reccomend them

12. Jeff Braddock

David,

I considered doing that, but I would like to get another system because I am wanting to try my hand at overclocking and stuff and I don't really want to risk messing up an already working computer. I know it sounds like I am wussing out, but chance favors the prepared mind.

13. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i dont know how much overclocking you are going to be able to do with a junker system though...

14. Jeff Braddock

Well, any would be better than none ya know [​IMG] I think my main thing is I just want something to tinker around with.

15. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

probably the cheapest and best "junker" system to play with would feature the a celeron 300a. they used to routinely overclock to 450 without a problem. i bet they are cheap now if you can find someone selling one...

16. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I've run across the newest fad in case modding. It's so easy to do, it's funny. Check out this link: LINK

17. Grant B

Grant B Producer

i have a old case which i was going to mod but never got around to. it's a pizza box (horzontal config)

If you pay for actual shipping it's yours

Grant

18. Jeff Braddock

An update...yipee! I think I may have hit a jackpot. My dad's g/f works at a school and when I mentioned that I was looking for a computer, she said the school she works at was getting ready to throw a bunch out. She said she would get as many for me as she could. She asked if I wanted a PC or an Apple...so I'm thinking the eqivilent of an Apple IIe, so hopefully it/they will have a little more horsepower than that.
    John,
    As tempting as that mod was....I think I will pass [​IMG]
    Grant,
    Thanks for the offer. I am looking for a tower case if I can find one, and with the possibility of getting a few comps for free...well, I think I'll see what happens there first.