PC IR transmitter/receiver-Anyone evey used one?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Bardon, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Has anyone here built (or bought) an IR transmitter/receiver for their PC? I was thinking about this today, and there's a couple things I'd like to do.

1-I'd like to be able to capture the signals from my individual remotes for backup purposes. I use my Sony learning remote for everything, and I was worried that if I ever needed to reprogram it, the original device remotes would be lost or not working (or just hard to find). If I could capture the signals though, then theoretically I could reprogram my remote by just having the PC retransmit the IR data.

2-I have a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 that has a built in IR receiver, but Creative has since stopped selling the IR remote. I'd like to be able to control this with my learning remote, and figured that if I could get a transmitter for my PC, then I could either find the codes online, or experiment with different combinations to try to determine them myself.

I'm tempted to just try to build my own from parts from the electronics store, but that seems like it might be more effort than it's worth (especially if I want to build something like a USB interface), especially if there's a readily available commercial product that does what I want. Has anyone ever tried anything like this before?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

This is actually pretty common. There is a very popular App called GIRDER that allows you to automate nearly any PC control using triggers from a number of sources, including IR receivers. Girder used to be freeware, now I think it's like $20.

The guys who are big into GIRDER have suggested IR interfaces (iirc TIRA was a popular USB device, along with IRTrans)-- I think you could even use the receiver from an IR keyboard (like IRman). There used to be a big GIRDER following on AVS- and I imagine between that forum and the Girder forum, you could find tons of info on IR receivers, PCs and the ways to do what you described above.

Also, you could, as you suggest, build a serial version

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I used vince's link when I built mine with great results. The custom reciever was more sensitive than anything else I owned. With a simple cable extension you cauld position it where you need it.