PC Hookup to Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob J., Apr 26, 2002.

1. Bob J.

Bob J. Extra

I'm trying to play my PC MP3's through a receiver with large speakers. I have tied them together through the high level jack at the back of the sound card, pluged into the aux. input of the receiver. But I seem to get a lot of distortion which promps me to ask....shouldn't I have plugged into the low level output on the PC and into a low level input on the receiver? One problem, my receiver (Denon AVR 810) doesn't have pre-inputs. So would the phono inputs be my best bet? Any other suggestions?

2. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

You could look for a soundcard with a digital output. I have mine connected with a mini jack to rca cable from a soundblaster 5.1 to the vcr2 input on a Denon 2802

3. Bob J.

Bob J. Extra

Maybe, but I forgot to mention....this computer (Dell 4400)

has the sound integrated on the main board, so I don't know if an add-on board can be installed? What is the advantage of a digital feed?

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Bob, you should plug the low level outputs from the soundcard into the AUX input of your receiver NOT the phone input. If you don't have an AUX input, a CD or tape input will do as well.

The phono input is before the preamp stage of your receiver. Your sound card's low level output will have already "preamped" the sound.

5. Bob J.

Bob J. Extra

Thanks, Jeff. I DID plug the feed into the computer's low level(The one NOT used for feeding the conventional little computer speakers)and I got no sound. It's like the receiver just couldn't amplify such a low level feed. Do you think I did this correctly?

6. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Bob,

Have you tried using the headphone jack on your PC, just to make sure that everything else in the chain is functioning OK?

Do you feel confident that you found all the various possible volume controls and have them turned up maybe 3/4s?