PC hookup for Toshiba 62HMX84 DLP

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeff_Smith, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Jeff_Smith

Jeff_Smith Auditioning

Just bought Toshiba 62HMX84. Has 2 HDMI inputs. Want to hook up my PC using DVI to HDMI cable, but sheet attached to the manual states clearly not to hook up a PC.

What gives?

If I set my PC to 1024x768, won't it be able to scale it to 720p? I don't mind a little truncating, or top/bottom/side bars. Is it a problem with the refresh rate? I can adjust the PC refresh rate manually, if that makes a difference. Has anyone tried it? Don't want to burn up my set if someone has already learned the hard way.

2. Robert Potter

Robert Potter Auditioning

Sorry I can't offer any advice -- bit I would be very interested in your observations on the Toshiba 62. I am thinking of getting one and I guess I need a little emotional support!

Did you buy yours locally or from an Internet source?

3. Jeff_Smith

Jeff_Smith Auditioning

The 62" Toshiba is a monster. HUGE screen. My wife just about fell over when it was delivered. Local TV store was willing to negotiate a great price, since we were paying cash. Paid $3040 including local 3rd party delivery.

On the bad side is the fan noise. On quite movies it is really annoying. I am also seeing rainbows, but not sure if it is because I am expecting them. Did not see them on the 50" display model. Wife has yet to mention seeing anything.

The set does not have a dedicated PC input like the Samsung, and states in its documents not to use either HDMI input. Still working on this ....

Finally, we are sitting about 10ft from the screen, and this is probably the closest you can get away with. HDTV gets installed tonight; so far only watched DVD on it, from a non-progressive player.

4. Mike Scott

Mike Scott Auditioning

It is possible to connect this set to a PC. However, it will void the manufacturers warranty. It just wasn't designed for anything but home theater.
    I beleive it has to do with the varying voltage on a PC's video output, being very different than any theater device.
    I do not recommend to do it at all.

5. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Hmmm... I highly doubt it would void the warranty. It is well known that many people who buy these high definition digital sets, especially those with DVI or HDMI connections, do so with the intention of hooking it up to a HTPC.

Jeff, take a look at AVS. They have a complete part of their forum dedicated to home theater computers.