"PC Health" via windows (W2K) rather than the Bios

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Couple BIOS questions since my qs in my other thread seems to be getting buried:

1)Is there a way to check the CPU Temp, etc from windows rather than from the BIOS settings, i.e. would I be able to find out the CPU temp without having to reboot and go into Bios?

2)What's a good setting to set the CPU temp warning/shutdown? I have an EPoX 8kha+ DDR board with a AMD

1gig t'bird CPU and an Enlight case with a front chassis fan, and an Enermax 350W PSU with a var. Fan on the bottom and the back.

Jay

2. Liam S

Liam S Stunt Coordinator

I use Hmonitor. It's a little program that runs in the system tray and its icon there tells you what temp the CPU is at. You can find it here.
    I have a 1.2 Athlon and I've got the warning set at 55C (it'll display the temp with a yellow background, and if you want you can set it to play a WAV file), and in my BIOS I have it set to shutdown at 60C.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks, I'll have to check that out... Now I'll see how much warmer my room gets after 5 hours of Civ III.... [​IMG]
    Jay

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Silly question.

I downloaded that app, and have it running. It has a red flag over my core voltage +1.78. What should the core voltage be?

-Vince

5. Liam S

Liam S Stunt Coordinator

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I've found that the official Vcore value for AMD Tbird is
    Athlon TBird : 1.7V, 1.75V
    Probably flags it if it is any greater than 1.75v or lesser than 1.7v
    BTW, I found a freeware moniter than seems to be compatible with the Winbond sensor I think is in the EPoX 8kha+ (Winbond 83697HF). Going to see how good that is, really I'm more interested in peaking at that temp every now and then rather than have a background process running. The one I found is here:
    http://web.bham.ac.uk/jst829/mbprobe/about.html
    Going to download both that and Hmonitor and compare the readme files and stuff..
    Jay

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Another Bios question, will playing with your "System Performance" field (AwardBIOS 6.0) which has selections for "normal, fast, fastest, turbo" affect your overall speed.

Is it noticeable? I was wondering if I can safely up that default value and see if the machine is still stable and plodding along.... Guess it's worth a shot to see if there is any noticeable difference...

I am going to be downloading some PC benchmarks (alot of people use SiSoft's Sandra on the Anandtech boards) and record everything before I start to tinker.

Jay

8. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor