What's new

"PC Health" via windows (W2K) rather than the Bios (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Couple BIOS questions since my qs in my other thread seems to be getting buried:

1)Is there a way to check the CPU Temp, etc from windows rather than from the BIOS settings, i.e. would I be able to find out the CPU temp without having to reboot and go into Bios?

2)What's a good setting to set the CPU temp warning/shutdown? I have an EPoX 8kha+ DDR board with a AMD

1gig t'bird CPU and an Enlight case with a front chassis fan, and an Enermax 350W PSU with a var. Fan on the bottom and the back.

Jay

Liam S

Stunt Coordinator
I use Hmonitor. It's a little program that runs in the system tray and its icon there tells you what temp the CPU is at. You can find it here.
I have a 1.2 Athlon and I've got the warning set at 55C (it'll display the temp with a yellow background, and if you want you can set it to play a WAV file), and in my BIOS I have it set to shutdown at 60C.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks, I'll have to check that out... Now I'll see how much warmer my room gets after 5 hours of Civ III.... ;)
Jay

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Silly question.

I downloaded that app, and have it running. It has a red flag over my core voltage +1.78. What should the core voltage be?

-Vince

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I've found that the official Vcore value for AMD Tbird is
Athlon TBird : 1.7V, 1.75V
Probably flags it if it is any greater than 1.75v or lesser than 1.7v
BTW, I found a freeware moniter than seems to be compatible with the Winbond sensor I think is in the EPoX 8kha+ (Winbond 83697HF). Going to see how good that is, really I'm more interested in peaking at that temp every now and then rather than have a background process running. The one I found is here:
http://web.bham.ac.uk/jst829/mbprobe/about.html
Going to download both that and Hmonitor and compare the readme files and stuff..
Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Another Bios question, will playing with your "System Performance" field (AwardBIOS 6.0) which has selections for "normal, fast, fastest, turbo" affect your overall speed.

Is it noticeable? I was wondering if I can safely up that default value and see if the machine is still stable and plodding along.... Guess it's worth a shot to see if there is any noticeable difference...

I am going to be downloading some PC benchmarks (alot of people use SiSoft's Sandra on the Anandtech boards) and record everything before I start to tinker.

Jay

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
will playing with your "System Performance" field (AwardBIOS 6.0) which has selections for "normal, fast, fastest, turbo" affect your overall speed.
Jay, I'm not certain, but I think the turbo setting will actually SLOW your computer. I remember that the turbo setting in my old Pentium was used when a program ran "too quick."

You may wish to enable fast and fastest. These sound like they may actually mean what they say. I can't find the manual online.... Let us know what you find out!

Users who are viewing this thread