PC games via network

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike LS, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I've been out of the PC game arena for a good while now (consoles have been my thing the last few years) so I'm rusty as to what's out there.

Are there any good games that can be played over a simple, 2 PC network? Me and a friend of mine would like to hook our laptops up for some network gaming on a trip we're taking soon and I'm looking for some good suggestions.

??????

2. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Mike - the basic answer is, well, practically everything. LAN gaming is huge, and as the LAN runs TCP/IP the game doesn't really do anything different to normal internet multiplayer, except that you'll want to run one of the two players as the server rather than having a third machine as a dedicated one. You may be limited by what runs well on the laptop (I don't know how good laptop 3D chips are these days), but otherwise anything like Quake/UT will be fine.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

What style of games you looking for, Mike? There's a lot of alternatives to the 'classic' Quake/Doom style multiplay out there now. Games like Monopoly Tycoon - a kind of realtime blend of SimCity & Monopoly - work really well over a LAN for example.

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

If you want GTA with multiplayer... Get GTA [​IMG] Both GTA & GTA2 have multiplayer over LAN & neither require a superduper video card. GTA2 needs Direct3D, but a modern laptop should provide that.

6. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Hey, cool. I'll have to check that out. I didn't know the PC versions of GTA had multiplayer. I've just played the PS2 version of GTA3.

Brian....what type of multiplayer does GTA(2) have? Co-op? VS?

Any of the Rainbow 6 games good this way?

Other suggestions? I'm open to what anyone thinks is good.

7. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

FPS games don't generally run very well without some sort of graphic acceleration unfortunetly. You can probably get away with RTS games, since those aren't ususally too graphic intensive or older (ancient) games like Duke Nuke'em. How do you plan on hooking the two lap tops together. Going to be carrying a switch or a hub with you ?

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

9. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Diablo and Diablo 2 are great fun in co-op mode. They're regulars at our lan bashes.

T