PC for $1500-2000 - recommendations???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Reno, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I want to stay away from the likes of Dell and Gateway but I don't have the time to build a PC from scratch so I have been looking at custom builders such as Envision Computer Solutions. Anyone care to recommend CPU/Board Combos as well as video cards?
    BTW, the PC will mainly be used with Photoshop and some games.

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

3. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

5. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

Have you considered Directron.com? It's the only online seller of its kind that I've found that concentrates as much on the "Quiet PC." They'll also build and assemble your computer to your exact specifications provided they have the parts on hand, and will charge you a fair price for both the parts and the assembly. I've not had any problems with them so far.

6. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

How about this? Ok I'm a little biased but its a nice package! This is from the Gateway web page

Gateway 500X Plus

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.4GHz w/ 512K L2 Advanced Transfer Cache and 533MHz FSB
    Memory: 512MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM (1-512MB Module) Hard Drive: 80GB UATA100 7200RPM Hard Drive
    Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44MB diskette drive
    CD-ROM or DVD: DVD-RAM/-R/CDRW Recorder with Movie Creator Lite
    Case: NEW Gateway Mid-Tower Case
    Controller: Integrated Ultra ATA Controller
    External Ports: (6) USB (2 in front and 4 in back are version 2.0) Parallel, Serial and (2) PS/2
    Certification: Energy Star Compliant
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    Application Software: Microsoft® Works Suite 2002 - Including Microsoft® Word and Encarta
    AntiVirus Software: Norton AntiVirus 90 day Introductory Offer
    Monitor: 18" LCD Flat Panel Display Analog/Digital (18.1" viewable)
    Video: 128MB NVIDIA™ GeForce4 MX440G Graphics with TV Out
    Keyboard and Mouse: Multifunction Keyboard and Logitech USB Optical Wheel Mouse
    Sound System: SoundBlaster Audigy Audio w/ IEEE 1394 (FireWire) and Pinnacle Expression
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics® BA745 Speakers with Subwoofer
    Modem: 56K PCI Voice Modem
    Network Adapter: Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
    Internet Service Provider: One year America Online® Internet Access (creation of new account required)
    High-Speed Internet Service: Not Selected
    Limited Warranty Program: 1 Year Limited Parts/Labor/In-home Service/Technical Support
    Promotion Software: The Sims™ (Limited Time ONLY - a $49 value)

Configured Price: US $1869

7. Mark Hsieh

Mark Hsieh Agent

I've built my friends a couple computers for under $1000 that are really decent, but of course exclude all the fancy stuff like a *monitor* or *operating system* I mean, who needs those things? [​IMG]

8. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

I'm here to solve all your problems:
    i'll build it for you! [​IMG]
    But really, I'm kind of serious. ^_^ I build computers all the time, and I would love having that budget to build one...if you would consider this at all, shoot me a PM or email.
    Otherwise, you should consider DIY...I know you don't want to, but it doesn't take more than an hour, and you'll feel very good after you're done.
    A site to look at (my personal favorite, along with most PC forums these days) is www.newegg.com. Great place, great prices, fast shipment, great CS. You wouldn't save too much money by buying from all over the place, and this way you get all your parts at the same time!

9. Jeffrey Johnson

Jeffrey Johnson Stunt Coordinator

www.ibuypower.com
    I haven't bought anything from them, but my next PC will be from them. They have a great rating from the ratings sites, and excellent prices. Plus, most of the machines are fully customizable. You can get an amazing machine in that price range...