What's new

PC connected to HDTV: No picture! (1 Viewer)

John Richard

Auditioning
I purchased an Audio Authority 9A60 VGA to component video converter to connect my Gateway Essential 433c PC to the 1080i inputs of my Sony KW-34HD1 HDTV. I connected the 9A60 and could not get a picture. I hooked the 9A60 to my RCA DTC-100 to make sure the converter was working and the picture was fine (other than being a bit off center). So, I'm unsure as to what the issue is with not getting a picture when the converter is connecting the PC to the HDTV.

Any ideas or suggestions as to how to solve this problem?

Thanks for your time...

John

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
There may be a broken or loose connection somewhere. VGA is technically RGB with horizontal and vertical sync. on fourth and fifth lines (RGBHV). If the sync. is missing, there may be no picture.

Check to find out what scan rates (resolutions) the VGA to HDTV box accepts. For 480p you need to set the PC to regular VGA 640 x 480 at 60 Hz.

Component video from the VGA to HDTV box should have the sync. combined with the Y.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Chnaces are good the resolution you have set on the pc is not compatible with the set. What res are you using? Have you tried powerstrip to get a 1080i output?

-Vince

John Richard

Auditioning
Thanks for the help.

The resolution is set at 640x480 and the refresh rate at 60Hz.

I'm going to hook the PC up to a computer monitor to make sure there is a picture and there's no problem with the sync. If there is a picture, then one would assume that the 9A60 converter is the problem, but it did work when connected to the RCA DTC-100? If there is no picture with the PC connected to the computer monitor, then smeone qualified would need to look at it.

A friend was nice enough to give me the Gateway mirco-tower after he bought a laptop. It worked fine for him up to the day he unhooked it and brought it over.

This is my first PC, so I'm still a bit in the dark about certain things.

Thanks again...

John

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
640x480@60 is 480p... if your set can't sync to 480p- then there is the problem. Get powerstrip, experiment with custom resolutions (480i and 1080i should be on the presets list).

Just cause powerstrip has it, doesn't mean your PC videocard will do it- but you can try.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks