What's new

PC Chess software for windows.. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Not sure whether to post this in PC software or the PC forum or this one cause I'm wondering what Chess players think about a good windows based free chess program?
I downloaded this:
http://www.rebel.nl/decrel.htm
which is great in that it's better than I'll ever be, I'll play on the intermediate or Novice setting cause I'll get creamed on the 2300 ELO or 2500 ELO rating but the only thing it runs in DOS and sometimes locks up. Granted I have only tried it one day and I think I can play with the memory shadowing and stuff, perhaps its trying to access a locked area of memory or something.
Anything as good as that except running in native Windows mode?
Jay

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I've used Arasan, it's not very fancy but works good (IMO).
You might want to try http://www.freechess.org where you can connect to chess servers and play against other people.
Arasan also lets you use the Link Removed program as an interface, and it can be used to play on chess servers. See the "readme" file that comes with it.
/Mike

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
What are you looking for from the program? Do you want mentoring, or just an offline opponent?

If you want to try online games, I recommend trying Kasparov's site. It's quite a bit better than Yahoo.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks guys, I'll have to check out that site MickeS. I probably wont have time to play again until the weekend rolls around again!

Marty C, I'm a casual chess player just looking for an offline opponent. I only have dialup and don't usually stay on the line for long periods of time. I used to play my cubemate at here around lunchtime but he's more serious of a player and I just like to play (especially at work!).

I used to play chess a bit in college and growing up but ever since I graduated, nobody else I know really plays and alot of us don't have the time for one full game. The PC allows one to save the game and pick it up later which is nice. Of course, I'm sure there are those Play-by-email chess servers and stuff out there...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks