PC Audio out for home theatre integration?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MathewAB, Jan 1, 2004.

1. MathewAB

MathewAB Auditioning

Just wondering if anyone has any idea for getting 5.1 audio from the pc to my denon reciever via digital coax. I currently have a SoundBlaster Audigy 2. It states on the back of the box that you simply need to use a mono minijack, which is what fits into the digital out on the pci soundcard, to RCA 3.5mm cable(and I assume into the digital coax input on the receiver). However, this would not seem to make sense. Is a digital coaxial cable for audio just simply the same makeup as a standard RCA cable? Can someone offer a suggestion on what exactly I need to get to make this work?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes it is. A "digital coaxial cable" is just a 75ohm coax cable. You do need to make sure it is 75ohm, though. All video cables should be 75oh, as well as any cables sold as digital interconnects. Analog audio interconnects, however, may not be 75ohm. You can use them, though, as long as they are expressly labeled somewhere as 75ohm.

LOTS of people feed the digital audio to their receivers from an HTPC.

3. MathewAB

MathewAB Auditioning

So in theory if I had an extra set of component cables, then I could hook one of the cables, say the "R" from the coax on the dvd player to the coax on the receiver? This could concievably produce 5.1 sound? Forgive my ignorance, I am only about 6 months into my home theatre addiction.

4. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Yep.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, component cables are just 3 bundled 75ohm cables. Any video cable will do, or any other 75ohm cable.

6. Cary

Cary Stunt Coordinator

OK, a hard question then for the gurus...I've been thinking about getting a SB Audigy2 also. They advertise it as DVD-A compatible and 6.1 (or 7.1) channels. Can you get this out of the card on analog minis to the receiver, or is this only good with Creative's PC speakers? Thanks to any & all.

7. MathewAB

MathewAB Auditioning

It alleges that it plays DVD-A, but I have a fast computer(2.6p4,1gb ddrram,winxp pro,ect)and I could not get the damn thing to play the demo DVD-A that came with it. It's been some time since I tested it, so I cant remember what it was telling me the problem was. Basically if youre looking for a cheap way to get DVD-A, I would buy it where it can be returned(to see if you can get it to work), or try something else.

8. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

Any RCA video cable will do. I even have a splitter on my PC's SPDIF out - one goes to my digital PC speakers, the other goes down a 20-foot cable to my home theater receiver in the next room. Works like a charm.

9. MathewAB

MathewAB Auditioning

Thats really good news. I have a Denon 1804 receiver, and it has 4 optical/1 coax in. The DVD, Direct TV, Xbox, And HDTV box take up all the opticals. This leaves the coax for the pc. Any game worth its weight for the pc has 5.1 surround now, so I am anxious to see if this works. Can I ask what piece I should get that will take the digital out on the soundcard minijack, and make it RCA/digital coax? I've been looking on eBay and elsewhere, but nothing so far. What are you using? Thanks-Mathew

10. MathewAB

MathewAB Auditioning

That would be mini to one RCA, not 2.

11. Franco m00nyoze

Franco m00nyoze Auditioning

I'm also in the same boat as you, Mathew, and I would greatly appreciate a response for the 'mini to coax' connection. I have the Audigy and when I read 'digital out' I didn't pay attention and assumed it was digital as in coax/optical [​IMG]

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Go to radioshack, and get a mono miniplug to RCA adapter thing, and then run an RCA cable. IT's quite simple.

13. Franco m00nyoze

Franco m00nyoze Auditioning

So you're saying there's no 'crazy difference' between running a standard RCA cable into a digital connection on a receiver? Was I duped into thinking that I had to buy the cable from Best Buy that read "digital coax connection" in order to hear the 5.1 from my dvd player to my receiver?

14. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, to a point.

Analog audio cables can be any impedance.

Digital audio cables, and video cables need to be 75ohm. Any 75ohm cable will work fine. Unlabeled analog audio cables may NOT be 75ohm, but if they are labeled as such, then they can work fine too. Usually the "digital audio cables" are sold for more $$, when any old 75ohm video cable will do the same thing. So by purchasing an expressly labeled "digital interconnect" then you know you got a 75ohm cable. You could also use this as a video cable, and vice versa. You can also use it as an analog audio interconnect, but NOT necessarily vice versa.

Hope that makes sens.e [​IMG]