What's new

PC Anywhere and Router Question (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hey everyone,

We have Verizon FIOS coming in from our wired router and routed to two different machines. I'm obviously having trouble connecting to them now with PC anywhere from work...

Anyone know what I should do next?

Thanks!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I use logmein.com and have never had any problems with accessing my computer from other locations. I use a belkin router and have two computers in my home network.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
The easiest way is to set up the remote control program to listen to two different custom ports on your internal machines. Then you just set up a port forward to those ports and ip numbers on your router/firewall.

This assuming that you can specify what port to connect to in the PC Anywhere client, I haven't used it in so long that I can't recall.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Actually, I don't know why I wrote that you should change the ports on the machines you want to connect to. It's rather irrelevant what ports they use, as you set up rules to forward ports to specific IP addresses in the router anyway.

Anyway, bottom line is that you only have one incoming IP address, and the router "owns" that one. If you want to connect to the same service on separate machines, you have to assign each machine a separate port number on that router. There is no reason however that the ports visible outside should be the same as the ones on the inside.

For example, one can have a web server on a machine inside the router and have that run on a non-standard port, say 8080, and then set up the router to listen on port 80 and forward those connections to the server on port 8080; the person connecting from the outside will think it's port 80 all the way. Something similar has to be done here in order to make it possible to connect to the PC Anywhere service on the computers.

Of course, if connecting to just one machine is enough (and from there possibly connect to the other machine over the internal network) it becomes just a normal port forward of the standard port, which is easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks